Helmets, wind noise and mp3 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No, not quite what you think.

After a 'friend' posted THE James Cracknell clip on SWMBO Facebook page, I was bullied into wearing my helmet on my commute this morning. I do occasionally wear it, but normally only when it is raining or really cold. :whistle:

I was amazed (and disturbed) at the amount my hearing was reduced by wind noise, so much so that my rear observations were probably four times what they normally are.

I think that I may have well been wearing an mp3 player for all the good my ears did me. I will be discussing this at length with her when I get home...

Are others aware of this noise issue?

tyred

Legendary Member
This is precisely why I stopped wearing mine. The wind noise was deafening above about 15mph.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Tell the "bullies / wife" to f*** off and wear what you like. :becool:

My wife attempted this conversation many many moons ago, it has not been discussed since. :thumbsup:

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!

After a 'friend' posted THE James Cracknell clip on SWMBO Facebook page, I was bullied into wearing my helmet on my commute this morning. I do occasionally wear it, but normally only when it is raining or really cold. :whistle:

I was amazed (and disturbed) at the amount my hearing was reduced by wind noise, so much so that my rear observations were probably four times what they normally are.

I think that I may have well been wearing an mp3 player for all the good my ears did me. I will be discussing this at length with her when I get home...

Yes, it's the main reason I stop using one. IME it makes riding considerably less pleasant and more dangerous.

ohnovino

Large Member
After a 'friend' posted THE James Cracknell clip on SWMBO Facebook page...

Which clip? Is it this one, taken several months after his accident:

article-0-0BB45ACF00000578-518_468x648.jpg

Norm

Pull your Buff (a more useful safety device than a helmet, IMO) up to cover your ears, and enjoy the complete absence of wind noise again.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
buy a cap with ear flaps and wear it under your helmet.

or for the suicidal get a nice Bern Brentwood and fit their STUPID audio liner so you can wear your iPod whilst cycling.....

Bicycle

I am an occasional wearer of a helmet and I notice no difference at all in my hearing.

My helmet is a low-end road one (early 90s) one but fairly standard in design.

I occasionally ride with an MP3 player and that does affect my hearing.

The MP3 also becomes inaudible due to wind noise over 25-ish mph.

My hearing is also affected by my warm, winter headband. I can still hear well, but have the permanent impression of tyre roar from a non-existant car about 10 meters behind me.... I look round a lot whan I wear the headband - and the car is never there.

But with just a helmet, I notice no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom