"Helmets would prevent about 85 percent of head injuries", he says

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:rolleyes:

:reading:

:popcorn:

:tired:

The One That Got Away

I think they think by making helmets seem safe it will make people think cycling is safer which means more people will cycle. Although there's already controversy that helmets put people off. Which I don't exactly agree with.

GrasB

Veteran
I think they think by making helmets seem safe it will make people think cycling is safer which means more people will cycle. Although there's already controversy that helmets put people off. Which I don't exactly agree with.
Pure anecdote but.. "Oh look at that lot!" As the person points at a group of cyclists all wearing builders tabards & wearing cycle helmets. "If they need that clobber cyclist has to be dangerous".

StuartG

slower but further
Well he could be right. As injury is not defined I am guessing that more than 85% of head impacts are slight and would at worse result in grazes and scratches. Helmets may really help there.

Its the more serious head impacts which helmet protection is a bit more problematical.

Wobblers

Euthermic
The figure comes from the Thompson Rivara Thompson study. It is one of the most commonly quoted studies and the methodology has been fairly thoroughly pulled apart in cyclehelmets.org.
Some comments published in the BMJ from Ben Goldacre and David Spiegelhalter on helmets and the law:
http://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.f3817?ijkey=I5vHBog6FhaaLzX&keytype=ref

I know for a fact that someone who quotes an 85% injury reduction rate from that paper is lying. This particular metastudy concluded a reduction rate of 70% with an uncertaincy of 15%. Someone who mentions the maximum figure whilst neglecting the pesky statistical stuff about it being most likely substantially less is trying to deliberately mislead you.

Incidentally, the Thompson and Rivara metastudy was based on very few case control studies. Four of them published by... Thompson and Rivara! A metastudy conventionally is expected to encompass all research that has been performed. Concentrating on the authors' own work almost exclusively fails in that most basic requirement. Criticisms that other workers had made over the methods used were not adequately covered either. It isn't the best example of science - and it is flagrantly at odds with whole population studies, which show no discernable benefit to helmet wearing.

The One That Got Away

Pure anecdote but.. "Oh look at that lot!" As the person points at a group of cyclists all wearing builders tabards & wearing cycle helmets. "If they need that clobber cyclist has to be dangerous".

Yeah I know why people could think that but I think its a minority. I think the majority of British public see cycling helmets and just see it as the norm. I think they're more likely to go "Look at that idiot not wearing a helmet" If they were to see someone with a helmet I don't think most people would be thinking "it must be dangerous if they have a helmet". So I think the fear of needing a helmet is already there with a lot of people from a young age are taught you must wear a helmet or if you fall off you will land on your head and die. Speaking from a generation of this being engrained into my head, 90's kid n all.
So to clarify I think seeing someone with a helmet on doesn't change someone's mind that much (Bright protective gear probably does more) and its the fact from an early age we're taught cycling requires a helmet as general PPE as you're likely to hit your head is what will put people off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom