"Helmets would prevent about 85 percent of head injuries", he says

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
Yeah I know why people could think that but I think its a minority. I think the majority of British public see cycling helmets and just see it as the norm. I think they're more likely to go "Look at that idiot not wearing a helmet" If they were to see someone with a helmet I don't think most people would be thinking "it must be dangerous if they have a helmet". So I think the fear of needing a helmet is already there with a lot of people from a young age are taught you must wear a helmet or if you fall off you will land on your head and die. Speaking from a generation of this being engrained into my head, 90's kid n all.
So to clarify I think seeing someone with a helmet on doesn't change someone's mind that much (Bright protective gear probably does more) and its the fact from an early age we're taught cycling requires a helmet as general PPE as you're likely to hit your head is what will put people off.
So basically people aren't discouraged by the use of cycle helmets because they've already been discouraged by recommendation to use cycle helmets? :wacko:

green1

Über Member
its the fact from an early age we're taught cycling requires a helmet as general PPE
Are we? I must have been late that day.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I know for a fact that someone who quotes an 85% injury reduction rate from that paper is lying.
If you read the article you will see that the person quoting an 85% injury reduction rate is none other than Dr. Frederick P. Rivara himself

The One That Got Away

Very scientific - and you have the nerve to ask if my post was helpful :rolleyes:

I am so sorry that when communicating with fellow human beings I am not allowed to think. I am not sure how scientific has anything to do with this. I was mealy stating an opinion not saying it is this or that just my thoughts on the matter. Is this not part of what the forum is for? Its a hell of a lot more helpful than your comment of "Not really" which really contributed a lot to the conversation. Round of applause for you *claps* You really changed this conversation for the better feller :')

The One That Got Away

So basically people aren't discouraged by the use of cycle helmets because they've already been discouraged by recommendation to use cycle helmets? :wacko:

That's what I was getting at. Yes obviously its still the helmets which are putting people off. I was more getting at the fact that just seeing someone on the street doesn't make as big a difference as being taught about it!

The One That Got Away

Me too. Not mentioned on the cyling proficiency course either :whistle: Still got the badge ...:laugh:

Well when I was a kid it was you must wear a helmet when going cycling. Is this not the case when kids are taught safe cycling at schools? From what I've seen all supervised children were wearing helmets! I never mentioned this was part of passing the course or was on the curriculum it was just something you were told you had to wear otherwise you weren't allowed to take part.

Well when I was a kid it was you must wear a helmet when going cycling. Is this not the case when kids are taught safe cycling at schools? From what I've seen all supervised children were wearing helmets! I never mentioned this was part of passing the course or was on the curriculum it was just something you were told you had to wear otherwise you weren't allowed to take part.

bike helmets didn't even exist when I was at school....

I didn't say it was part of passing the course or on the curriculum. It was something that was never mentioned because a) they didn't exist (apart from for professional cycling no doubt) and b) it wasn't considered life threatening to fall off your bike. Unless you happened to fall in front of a lorry or whatever, obviously. Mind you neither were all geographical features containing water roped off with numerous warning signs that drowning could be possible, elbow and knee pads weren't a necessity & sticking your finger in a socket would have been generally considered unwise and items containing nuts like peanut brittle didn't tend to need a warning that the product 'may contain nuts'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom