Help adjusting gears. Could it be new chain length?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Mick, give me a shout and you can borrow the tools. It's a five minute job. If you want to buy the tools Superstar components have a chai whip for six quid, and a lockring tool for a fiver.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Thanks to Pete, Hovr and Cubist. Your comments came in as I was posting my latest.

I'll order the Shimano cassette, lockring tool and chain whip. I don't have them. Suspect I won't leave it long before I change the chainrings though ... Seems no point trashing a new drivetrain by leaving one worn component in there. I'll research getting new chain rings for it. Might be cheaper to get the whole new crankset. The M590 includes a new bottom bracket. That's another thing I've never done.

You Tube tutorials are a godsend I agree. Thanks all.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Mick, give me a shout and you can borrow the tools. It's a five minute job. If you want to buy the tools Superstar components have a chai whip for six quid, and a lockring tool for a fiver.
many thanks Cubist ... Where are you ? I'm South Yorkshire. If you're close I'll take you up on that, have you peer over my shoulder and then buy you a pint for your trouble. :-D

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
I work just over the border between West Yorks and dee dar land..... A mere hop up the A635 for you.

Indeed. Nice MTB country too. I'll get the parts ordered and get back in touch. A very generous offer, thanks. The tools aren't expensive though. Might order the tools but lean on your experience. The pint would still be forthcoming though. ;)

Cubist

Still wavin'
Indeed. Nice MTB country too. I'll get the parts ordered and get back in touch. A very generous offer, thanks. The tools aren't expensive though. Might order the tools but lean on your experience. The pint would still be forthcoming though. ;)
Pleasure. Once you've got the bits give me a shout. You can get a m590 Chainset from Germany for less than 50 quid. You'll pay that for 2 chainrings........

HovR

Über Member
Do I need to stick with Shimano for the cassette or are they all interchangeable ?

Anything with the right number of speeds, is a cassette (as opposed to a freewheel) and is listed as Shimano compatible should be fine.

HovR

Über Member
Link is broken, but you can't really go wrong with Deore considering this is the component group the rest of your bike runs. Should be fine.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Ok thanks all. Ordered ...

Shimano Deore M590 Triple chainset 22.32.44 Black
Shimano Deore 9 speed 11/32 cassette, CSHG50 (£19 inc p&p bargain)
LockRing tool & chain whip
Guessing I'm also going to need a Bottom Bracket tool so I ordered the Park Tools one.

Cubist

Still wavin'
There are three eBay power sellers, Allterrain Cycles, Woollyhatshop and Absolute Cycles. They seem to take it in turns to sell cheap drivetrain components. It's worth knowing the model number of various bits so you can compare, but one week SRAM will be the cheapest, next week Shimano etc. and they take it in turns to have the bargains in. Allterrain have HG80 (SLX) in for about 30 quid.... Light, and on a carrier spider so good for alloy free wheels.
Always worth a quick google as well, as Ribble and Planet X can sell some bargain cassettes sometimes. HG50 are a good solid cassette, with the emphasis on solid

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
There are three eBay power sellers, Allterrain Cycles, Woollyhatshop and Absolute Cycles. They seem to take it in turns to sell cheap drivetrain components. It's worth knowing the model number of various bits so you can compare, but one week SRAM will be the cheapest, next week Shimano etc. and they take it in turns to have the bargains in. Allterrain have HG80 (SLX) in for about 30 quid.... Light, and on a carrier spider so good for alloy free wheels.
Always worth a quick google as well, as Ribble and Planet X can sell some bargain cassettes sometimes. HG50 are a good solid cassette, with the emphasis on solid

Thanks, the cassette was from woollyhatshop. I'll look at the weight difference.

Top Bottom