Help...Bike for big hills.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
In the last year i lost half a stone , i know it does not sound a lot but it from 11 to 10.5 stone ,which is eerr ( fingers and thumbs ) a 4.5 % weight loss so i find hills a lot easier.

Almost the same weight loss..
Jan 10st 10lbs
Feb 10st 3lbs.
Mar 10st 2lbs..
So not so much loss last month..

MattHB

Proud Daddy
It's surprising just how much difference it makes loosing even a small amount of weight.

During the last 2 months, because of the birth of my daughter I've not been out on the bike as much as normal, consequently I put on 4 lbs.. It made a huge difference even though my fitness had not really tailed very much.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Just my thoughts on where I am..

Weight.. I've gone down from 10st 10lbs (Jan) to 10st 2 lbs ( Mar) and dont want to lose any more weight..

Fitness.. I know how unfit I was when I started riding 4 months ago so lets guess and say I'm 50% fitter so I have some way to go yet.

Bikes/Hills.
On my road bike I can do cat 4 hills so not a problem but I've just tried a Cat 3 and can't get up on my road bike but on the lower geared mtb I can.
Apart from the last 100yds I did the at Cat 3 hill on a 32F and 36R cogs and only had to drop to the 22 front for the last bit..
So with a with a lighter bike and road tyres and a little bit more fittness I could make the top of the hill on a 32/34F and 36R geared bike but still unsure if I could do it on my road bike which has 36F and 28R gearing.

If I get to better fittness I might be able to do this Cat 3 hill on my road bike but I'm not sure.. but then you have Cat 2 and then Cat 1 hills so I would have no chance on my road bike..
Hence the quest for a hybrid with lower gearing..

I have no other choice than to do big hills if I want to do any sort of distance as I live on a mountain and to be honest and not rude I didn't buy a bike to push it up a hill, I want to ride up the hill. :smile:

@ Matt.. Did you mean wheels for the the road bike.. :smile:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
It's surprising just how much difference it makes loosing even a small amount of weight.

During the last 2 months, because of the birth of my daughter I've not been out on the bike as much as normal, consequently I put on 4 lbs.. It made a huge difference even though my fitness had not really tailed very much.

My weight loss has improve my fitness but I dont want to lose any more.. :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My weight loss has improve my fitness but I dont want to lose any more.. :smile:
12983_MEDIUM.jpg

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Here's a question but I dont want to start another thread..

If a bike has 700/ 38cc tyres could you put 700/ 28cc tyres on if it was only going on the road only?

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
depends on the wheel.... what bike is it?

It was a bike that is on my list and its a Specialized.. Sirrus Comp..
The gearing looks good at 48- 32 Front and 11-36 rear cassette but the wheels have 700/38cc tyres fitted but that is to do off road as well but I will only use it on road?

vickster

Legendary Member
I wouldn't choose a Crosstrail over a Sirrus for roads - heavier, energy sapping with suspension

vickster

Legendary Member
Surely lighter the better for hills? No suspension needed for roads

If you want a light flat barred bike, something like a Sirrus, Rapid, 7.5 (or higher FX)

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I have 3 bike that might fit the bill..
Specialized Comp.
Trek 7.6 FX.
Cube cyclecross triple thats for sale but I can only see in advertised in one shop.. which seems odd..

Must have on the bike... 11-36 cassette and low compact or triple cogs on the front..

Top Bottom