Help...Bike for big hills.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If all else fails you need a General Lee 11-40!

$T2eC16V,!zEE9s3!Y(+lBRQMJ2rrLw~~60_12.JPG

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
If all else fails you need a General Lee 11-40!

View attachment 20413
holy crap!

is that for going up everest?

BDK

Regular
As someone already mentioned,SRAM WiFli.A 50 34 compact crank with an 11 32 cassette.Either trade your road bike for another or get the rear mech and cassette fitted along with the 34 tooth chainring.Oh yes,change that abonimation of an avatar...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I know it's not fashionable but there's nothing wrong with a triple with a smaller inner ring on your road bike, say 50/39/26. If you really want to stay with a double then maybe 42/26. If you bunged something like an 11-32 on either of those combos then 26x32 should be good enough, below that balancing may get tricky.

It's all well and good to hear things like man up and there's certainly no shame in walking if you need to. I just prefer to ride and would rather have gears on a bike to enable as much of this as possible when I'm unfit or just tired at the end of a ride/long day.

There's also the danger that you take some of the fun out of it with too much training and not enough just riding.

Licramite

Über Member
Thats what I've got 52,48,32 - but thiers some hills round here were in the end you get off and run up the hill its quicker.
I now know why ironage hillfort dwellers didn't invent the bicycle.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
As someone already mentioned,SRAM WiFli.A 50 34 compact crank with an 11 32 cassette.Either trade your road bike for another or get the rear mech and cassette fitted along with the 34 tooth chainring.Oh yes,change that abonimation of an avatar...

I have an 11-36 cassette and rear mech on order as its the cheaper option to start with, then perhaps a 34 tooth chainring to follow.
Then I think I would trade the bike in for another bike if I'm not happy with the results.. :thumbsup:

As for the avatar :tongue:.. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I know it's not fashionable but there's nothing wrong with a triple with a smaller inner ring on your road bike, say 50/39/26. If you really want to stay with a double then maybe 42/26. If you bunged something like an 11-32 on either of those combos then 26x32 should be good enough, below that balancing may get tricky.

It's all well and good to hear things like man up and there's certainly no shame in walking if you need to. I just prefer to ride and would rather have gears on a bike to enable as much of this as possible when I'm unfit or just tired at the end of a ride/long day.

There's also the danger that you take some of the fun out of it with too much training and not enough just riding.

I'm going to change a few things around and see what happens and I wouldn't discount a triple.. :thumbsup:

You second paragraph is spot on..
Its all very well saying man up but I am 61 not 21 and I didn't buy a bike to push it up hill so any help in the gearing is going to be helpfull. :smile: :thumbsup:

Peteaud

Veteran
I have an 11-36 cassette and rear mech on order as its the cheaper option to start with, then perhaps a 34 tooth chainring to follow.
Then I think I would trade the bike in for another bike if I'm not happy with the results.. :thumbsup:

And a new chain i hope ;)

Top Bottom