Help! Campagnolo bar end shifter advice needed please (old style 10 speed)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If these came from a box of old bits, they may well have been bar end shifters as used on road and CX. They sit it the end of the bars so shifting on the drops I=s easy. They will be friction and could be used with 5 speed upwards. The exploded diagram shown earlier in the thread looks like a down tube lever, a bit different from bar end!
At one time they were extensively used on the road, sprinters liked them as you could slam the lever into top with 200 to go and hope it all worked...!
The real home was CX, where all the top blokes used them, this before the days of indexing, when men were men, etc...(cont'd P.94) ^_^
If you look at the part in the centre bottom of the diagram I posted you'll see the expander plug that fits into the end of a set of handlebars, they are certainly bar end shifters. I know cos I own a set. :becool:

oldroadman

Veteran
If you look at the part in the centre bottom of the diagram I posted you'll see the expander plug that fits into the end of a set of handlebars, they are certainly bar end shifters. I know cos I own a set. :becool:
Missed that! Apols, I was a better rider than techie...not much better though!

oldroadman

Veteran
I only posted the diagram to show just how complex the things are, if anyone took a lever apart then god only knows how they'd manage to re-assemble them correctly. :crazy:
It's as if someone had said "let's make it as difficult for non-professionals as possible, the agents will be pleased with the extra service work and sales of new stuff because people can't ever re-assemble properly!". Not that it might be a commercial decision, just like car makers and the need for a plug-in laptop with diagnostic software, oh no, of course not.
And oddly enough, the fishing reel company and the one that offers Red seem about the same.....

Top Bottom