HELP! Computers!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Andy in Sig said:
Chuffy, what do you mean by search for the docs manually?
Hokay. I'm not an IT Wizard though...
Are you trying to open the document itself or from a shortcut? If it's a shortcut, have you moved it?
Try Searching (Start>magnifying glass icon) for the document and opening it that way.
Is there an error message?
Could you describe the problem in more detail.

Deploy RBH.

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Chuffy,

These are the symptoms:

a. It doesn't matter where I try to open a doc from, the following happens.

b. The word screen comes up but with the bare minimum ie no icons or the like and the word logo thing (about 4 x 5 inches) sits in the middle and it hangs at that point i.e. no doc gets opened.

c. If I close it I get the old "prog is not responding message". So basically, word just cannot be opened so it's nothing to do with the individual docs.

Mr Phoebus,

I like your system restore idea. What buttons do I have to press?

KitsuneAndy

Sometimes the main template that word uses gets corrupted and word won't open properly.

If you find the 'Normal Template' and delete it Word will then create a new one when it next opens.

Of course, it may not be anything to do with this problem, in which case a system restore as suggested above may be your best bet. Either that, or just re-installing Word if you have the disc.

To replace the Normal Template:

Get windows to search for Normal.dot it should be in Application DataMicrosoftTemplates

Rename it OldNormal.dot

Try opening word again.

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. (I may have to kill some of you on the other hand. You know who are Alextillhewasdead springs to mind.) I'll print these and have a bash when I get home at the weekend.

ChrisKH

Guru
I've had the same problem (not with Word tho') since uploading MS upgrades since last week. Can't access the internet. Also installed a new printer and I have a feeling the driver is messing up the operating system. I'm seriously tempted to take both in to PC world (since their helpline is about as useful as a chocolate teapot) and say 'you fix it'. They sold me the printer to accompany the laptop.

Top Bottom