Help im Soaking in sweat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigD

Regular
Am I just wearing to much gear. got back from 28m today and my gear is soaking in Sweat. I was wearing a short sleeved cycle jersey , Marino wool top aldi and a fleece aldi. I know I will sweat but I mean soaked had to ring out the sleeve of the fleece they were sopping. Temp about 3 and windy.
So advice on layers and what type of gear would be gratefully excepted.

CHEERS
BIG D

Booyaa

Veteran
Too hot = less layers. Maybe?

Mrs M

Guru
Would keep the Merino base layer and wear a long sleeved Jersey on top, fleece always makes me too hot.
Maybe carry a pocket rocket jacket or similar to put on if you get a bit chilly, just another layer. :smile:

ScotiaLass

Guru
I can't wear a fleece either.
Around 3 degrees I usually wear a long sleeved thermal base layer, a short top and my Altura jacket.
Chilly to start with I don't get overly hot and I'm not soaked when I finish.
Everyone's different though, so just experiment until you find a comfortable medium :smile:

BigAl68

Über Member
Merino with a fleece would have me boiling even in mid winter. As others have said maybe a long sleeve jersey or a thin rain jacket with some vents.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
A good base layer is essential to wick sweat away from the skin. Try and avoid waterproof "boil in the bag" jackets if you can. I wear a base layer and soft shell type jacket, which breathes but keeps the wind out. It's warm enough once you get moving. I'm still a bit sweaty when I get home though!

drummerbod

This morning on my 24mile off road (it started at 4c) I wore my bib tights, mirco fleece and Altura Blitz waterproof jacket. Was perfect.

Yesterday I did a 12mile off road (it was 11c) and wore the same and was saturated.

That 7c makes a huge difference.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I usually find aldi's winter weight softshell enough just with a t shirt or vest under it, I tend to run warm generally.

I'd experiment with other merino tops than Aldi too, I like their stuff, the softshells are great VFM & surprisingly good quality for £15 or so, but the merino jersey I got was horrible, not a great cut, very itchy and clingy, quite thick for a merino layer too & only a blend. I swapped the first one but the second was just as bad, even after repeated washing and beating with steak hammers (ok exaggerated the last bit, but it was a let down vs all their other kit)

Decathlon walking section usually have some nice, super comfy, wear all day as a base/mid layer merino long sleeves for not much more money that I can use under a softshell on colder days or on its own as the weather picks up

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I have an Audi fleece (crane) and whilst it's warm it doesn't breath anywhere near as well as my Zero RH+, it never makes me sweat, feels soft and dry and yet, even in 3 degrees, stays warm and wind resistant.

dnrc

Veteran
this sort of temp around -3 up to nearly 10 I wear a pair of gore windstopper trousers a gore windstopper jacket and an underarmour coldgear base layer.

today this was pretty much bang on temp wise (4-5 degree) had to open my underarm vents for a bit and came back a little bit sweaty but you'd expect to be sweaty whenever you went out wouldn't you?

when you start you should be feeling a little cold

around 10 degrees i would wear the same on top and just wear shorts instead of the trousers.

Try a mesh base layer, such as the Brynje ones, in particular the Brynje Super Thermo, which is made of polypropelene and hence won't absorb liquid at all. Combine that with it being about 50% holes and you'll stay dry and warm as they are both very breathable and very warm as they contain lots of air, which is the thing which provides warmth in any garment. Put a *breathable*, close-fitting and windproof top over that as the only other layer and you should end up a lot drier, as should the clothing. If that proves to be not warm enough, a very thin, merino baselayer used as a mid-layer between those two will work well. I've been using the two layer approach in recent weeks and have always been warm enough (whilst moving at medium intensity); if you plan on stopping and standing around for more than a few minutes, take an extra layer for the stops!

Lots of manufacturers [now] have mesh base layers; I'm just very familiar with the Brynje ones from years of use in mountaineering. The key thing here is that the top layer be breathable ... If the top layer is impermeable, you're going to end up with wet clothes as there's just nowhere for the sweat to go.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Try a mesh base layer, such as the Brynje ones, in particular the Brynje Super Thermo, which is made of polypropelene and hence won't absorb liquid at all. Combine that with it being about 50% holes and you'll stay dry and warm as they are both very breathable and very warm as they contain lots of air, which is the thing which provides warmth in any garment. Put a *breathable*, close-fitting and windproof top over that as the only other layer and you should end up a lot drier, as should the clothing. If that proves to be not warm enough, a very thin, merino baselayer used as a mid-layer between those two will work well. I've been using the two layer approach in recent weeks and have always been warm enough (whilst moving at medium intensity); if you plan on stopping and standing around for more than a few minutes, take an extra layer for the stops!

Lots of manufacturers [now] have mesh base layers; I'm just very familiar with the Brynje ones from years of use in mountaineering. The key thing here is that the top layer be breathable ... If the top layer is impermeable, you're going to end up with wet clothes as there's just nowhere for the sweat to go.
I use a Decathlon one, about £8 as you say, 50% holes, but it works well in both summer and winter and helps stop chills as it's doesn't stay wet against the skin.

Top Bottom