HELP!!! Leaving from london to cycle from Bilbao to Porto

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tico

Hey everyone!!

I hve decided I am cycling to Porto - Portugal from London after my degree to end on the 8th of July, but I just realised That would be a 18/20 days jorney and I only have 9 days to do the journey!!

So i tried to find alternatives to get a ferry to Northern Spain and cycle from there but the ferry ticket is £150 to Santander!!!

Is anyone aware of an alternative and cheaper option to cross the canal and get to spain in 1 day so I can cycle from there!?

Many many thanks everyoneee!!

alicat

Legendary Member
I get Portsmouth to Santander £70 on 30 June on Brittany Ferries for example. What website are you looking on and what date are you looking to set off?

OP
OP
Tico

Tico

Hey alicat!!

Inwas looking for 8th or 10th July on tht same website. Even on aferry, witch searches in all major ferry companies, shows me for that time that is the price :sad:.

I have seen a bus leaving to Bilbao for £47 but I will need to disassemble the weels off my bike and take it as “luggage” wich is actually not a bad option!

Brandane

Legendary Member
One way ticket with EasyAir or RyanJet to an airport somewhere within your desired distance from Porto?
You can take your bike with you but there will be a charge, and you'll need to pack it in accordance with airline rules - usually a cardboard box will do and as you're only going one way you can bin the box at your destination airport.

alicat

Legendary Member
Inwas looking for 8th or 10th July on tht same website. Even on aferry, witch searches in all major ferry companies, shows me for that time that is the price :sad:.

Oh, thanks for clarifying. I wasn't clear if 8th July was your date to set off from London or arrive in Porto. That's a shame. I'm out of suggestions, I'm afraid.

MarkF

Guru
Bus sounds good value at £47.

One way ticket with EasyAir or RyanJet to an airport somewhere within your desired distance from Porto?
You can take your bike with you but there will be a charge, and you'll need to pack it in accordance with airline rules - usually a cardboard box will do and as you're only going one way you can bin the box at your destination airport.

Easyjet has £80 + bike Stansted to Bilbao 10th July, that looks a good price to me for that time of year. I've flown in there with my bike twice and it's an easy ride downtown, the airport staff are helpful too as you unpack/re-assemble.

Top Bottom