help me buy a helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sillyoldman

Veteran
I got a catlike whisper for the summer as my old one had little ventilation in comparison and cooked my napper. Must say I have been very impressed. Once it's on you forget it's there as it s so light and comfy (well at least that is compared to the one I had). I wish I had changed ages ago.
So whilst some say get the cheapest that fits, I would say get the one that fits best of all, will ventilate your head well and then look at price.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Not all helmets are the same, although they have to meet the UK standards to be sold in the UK, this is not particularly a high standard.
You are better off looking at helmets which meet the stricter SNELL standards which is a higher standard.

All specialized helmets are SNELL certified, as are some other manufacturers

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3ZYA1NKMGWo8bxUnbz4DqUHEZrpJn_WDx9awcrOiOAthNjH6b.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I have a Giro Atmos ($100) which I bought mail order and it's fine, although I find the interior padding a bit sparse. Most helmets have knurled wheel at the back which you fine adjust to your head size. If you pay more you get better finish and maybe some CF which may make it a bit lighter. Or you can choose the make that Team Sky use and feel like Bradley Wiggins!

ceejayh

I've just got the Alpina Vector from Start Cycles for £40 (currently £45 but they've got a 10% off voucher code at the moment - UKWEB10 if I remember correctly.

Very comfy, very light and easily adjustable - and it doesn't make you look like you've got a mushroom on your head ;).

vickster

Legendary Member
Well you'd think...I had a yellow car that was clearly visible from outer space - on my drive on Google street view or whatever it's called. However, the number of numpty drivers who used to pull out like I wasn't there was astonishing!

Top Bottom