Help me buy lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I wasn't aware you could still get bottle dynamos.

Presumably, LEDs need less oomph to provide a decent light than incandescent bulbs, so your bottle dynamo rig could work well.

Years ago, tyre sidewalls had a tread to grip the spinning top of the bottle.

I wonder if it made any difference?

Lovacott

Über Member

Back in the 1990's, I worked for a utility company in London and had access to 9v batteries (roadside lamp jobs).

I fabricated a housing to hold said battery and rigged up my lights to them. Then one day, I saw an old bike at the tip next to Old Wembley Stadium and I bought it for £5 to use as spares. It had a very rusty dynamo set fixed to the frame.

I fitted the lights and bottle dynamo to my bike and wired them up with household twin and earth cable.

The lights were amazing but I really felt the load when I clicked the bottle to engage it. And yes, I do remember the hair comb pattern on tyre sidewalls back then but I never put two and two together.

si_c

Guru

Presumably, LEDs need less oomph to provide a decent light than incandescent bulbs, so your bottle dynamo rig could work well.

I don't know if it made much difference but more to the point probably helped prevent the dynamo wearing through the side wall of the tire I would expect.

Chris S

Legendary Member

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The Supernova front and rear lights are a matched pair - no mix and match with other brand lights (the rear is powered by DC from the front light).
The rear is a rack fitting light, but still leaves you having to fit the mandatory rear reflector, having used up the best place to put it.

If you want to spend Supernova money, you'd be better off with a SON Edelux 2 and a combined rear light/reflector (alternative). These are better rears than the Supernova, as well as the free reflector.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I have two Moon Meteor lights (200 and 250) which are an earlier design from the one mentioned up there ^^^ by Vickster, and were about £50-60 each. They are exceptionally good, giving decent light for 15-20 mph in the pitch dark and lasting about 90 minutes on full power. USB rechargeable. Tiny, so easily detachable and stowable. They were great for rural back-lane commuting. However, the first (200) lost its steady function after a year but retained the flashing mode, so I got a 250. This lasted about a year and then the flash mode failed. So I now have two Moon lights - and, crazily, both are now in full working order. I recommend them highly as lights, but have to warn they are not long-term robust.

Lovacott

Über Member
I don't know if it made much difference but more to the point probably helped prevent the dynamo wearing through the side wall of the tire I would expect.
The new dynamo I bought (AXA) has a replaceable rubber roller and offers up less resistance than the old dynamos of years gone by.

I hardly notice any difference when I engage it and the noise is about the same level as the tyres make when rolling along the road.

Schneil

Veteran
For a good cheap front light I would reccommend the Axa Nightline t4r.

https://www.axasecurity.com/bike-security/en-gb/products/Lights/7/90900595SC/axa-niteline-t4-r

It's a German style light, so shines light onto the road and not above the horizontal. It's usb chargeable and although mine didn't, it comes bundled with a rear light. I've seen it online for around £25.

It casts light into a bright rectangular area, but then has a dimmer area up to your front wheel. Perfect for a lit road or city environment.

Attachments

• PXL_20200923_210649373.jpg
    PXL_20200923_210649373.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 2

Schneil

Veteran
For a good cheap front light I would reccommend the Axa Nightline t4r.

https://www.axasecurity.com/bike-security/en-gb/products/Lights/7/90900595SC/axa-niteline-t4-r

It's a German style light, so shines light onto the road and not above the horizontal. It's usb chargeable and although mine didn't, it comes bundled with a rear light. I've seen it online for around £25.

It casts light into a bright rectangular area, but then has a dimmer area up to your front wheel. Perfect for a lit road or city environment.

More pictures to show the light pattern.

Attachments

• PXL_20201001_191329887.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20201001_191329887.NIGHT.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom