Help me buy lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
I very much doubt that.
Modern leds have a very long life, may well outlive you. Rechargeable batteries not. And even suffer from being sat around.

There are some very good batteries out there but there is no real way of telling the good from the bad until you've tried them.

I bought a 30,000 MAH power pack two years ago to take to a festival. Turned out to be the best battery I have ever owned. I use it all of the time and it still charges up just as much stuff as it did the day I bought it. It takes around 24 hours to charge fully from flat and it keeps my mobile phone going for a week of camping. I've had others before which are only good for a couple of trips before they practically die.

With the lights I bought, I have been keeping track of the amount of time it takes to completely charge after an hour of use on full power (my commute time). So far, it has been consistent (bad batteries charge quicker each time but hold less charge each time).

In two months, I'll be using the two lights for two hours each per day which will be a real acid test. I will consider the lights to be good value if they can both make it through until March and still keep the road lit. I have no expectations either way (like I said, you can't tell until you've tested them). I will review them on Amazon either in March with a good review or if they fail before, I will write something scathing.

Going back a few years, but I used to spend a fortune on alkaline batteries commuting in the winter. I also had a dynamo set up, but they only worked when you were actually moving so you needed a battery powered set to stay legal in the traffic. Thank god for re-chargeables.

OP
OP
M

Matthew20

I bought a 30,000 MAH power pack two years ago to take to a festival. Turned out to be the best battery I have ever owned.
show us the link

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Nothing wrong with the mount of the ixon iq.
It is 80 lux i think.
Which is fine.
I'm not trying to fry the trees on my night rides.

edit - that's a hell of a generalisation at the end of your post. Anything chinese is good?
Do you use these lights onroad in deep night?
If so what's the beam pattern like?
I was out a bit later yesterday evening with my dynamo version of the Ixon (same optics), quite happy with the light output where I averaged 15mph on the roads and max of over 30mph. I'm using a fork crown mount, so no issues with glare.
TBH I've driven cars with inferior beam patterns and throw compared to these B&M lights

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It's not actually a UK legal requirement for dynamo lights to stay on when stopped (you do have a red rear reflector? Oh dear).
However, almost all rear dynamo lights, and most front ones, now have a capacitor standlight feature. The rear ones normally stay at full brightness for a few minutes, while the front is at a "be seen" kind of brightness (running a front light requires at least six times more power).

Lovacott

Über Member
It's not actually a UK legal requirement for dynamo lights to stay on when stopped (you do have a red rear reflector? Oh dear).
However, almost all rear dynamo lights, and most front ones, now have a capacitor standlight feature. The rear ones normally stay at full brightness for a few minutes, while the front is at a "be seen" kind of brightness (running a front light requires at least six times more power).
I've always assumed that working lights were required at all times but I've never actually looked at the law. Plus, my old dynamo didn't really chuck out that much light unless I was hammering along on the flat or downhill. I needed a 2nd battery set just to see the road properly.

I'm looking at adding a dynamo setup to my bike because I would imagine the tech has moved on since 1996 when I was using one before. I suppose a modern dynamo with LED output would give out a heck of a lot more light than the old fashioned incandescent bulbs would have?

On my current commute, I only have to stop at two roundabouts if there is any traffic to give way to. There are no traffic lights or stop signs in between my home and my work (lucky me).

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
I think you need this.
https://www.bumm.de/en/products/akku-scheinwerfer/parent/1922/produkt/1922qmla.html
I have one - it's excellent, if a tad delicate, and far bigger I think than Paul's light.
Wonderful for dark country lanes - you can see all you need to without dazzling anyone.
Uses AAs.

see second pic on right for the shield.
It sticks on - seems odd - you'd think it would be integral - but mine hasn't dropped off yet.

^ this, I’ve run this light on my trike and now it’s going to be on my mtb. It’s a little too delicate for offroad but I’m not going to be doing that in the dark if I can help it. It was the using AAs bit that sealed the deal. I was doing some big old audaxes at the time. It’s a lot easier to bap in some new batteries that are easily available at garages and the like than faff about with power banks and all that... great beam pattern too.

^ this, I’ve run this light on my trike and now it’s going to be on my mtb. It’s a little too delicate for offroad but I’m not going to be doing that in the dark if I can help it. It was the using AAs bit that sealed the deal. I was doing some big old audaxes at the time. It’s a lot easier to bap in some new batteries that are easily available at garages and the like than faff about with power banks and all that... great beam pattern too.
Do you find changing the batteries on it on the road an issue?
I am loathe to do this on the road in the dark and so just slap another light on.
A big plus is that it uses a common mount, used for instance by many older Smart lights.
I do hope B&M continue with this light and develop it but fear that they won't.
The AA hope vision 1 was discontinued - a good light though with a far inferior beam pattern to the B&M.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've always assumed that working lights were required at all times but I've never actually looked at the law. Plus, my old dynamo didn't really chuck out that much light unless I was hammering along on the flat or downhill. I needed a 2nd battery set just to see the road properly.

I'm looking at adding a dynamo setup to my bike because I would imagine the tech has moved on since 1996 when I was using one before. I suppose a modern dynamo with LED output would give out a heck of a lot more light than the old fashioned incandescent bulbs would have?

On my current commute, I only have to stop at two roundabouts if there is any traffic to give way to. There are no traffic lights or stop signs in between my home and my work (lucky me).

I think you would be very impressed with the light from even a basic Shimano front hub dynamo - provided it's properly wired to a decent LED light.

It's the beastly Germans again - I see Taylor Wheels have plenty of dynamo wheelsets if you fancy going all new rather than a rebuild.

I can vouch for the Mavic 319 wheels, a pair did thousands of miles on my heavy Rose ebike with a heavy me on it.

As regards a front light, budget for about £100 for something from Busch and Muller or Supernova.

Incidentally, one reason why the Germans are so good at this stuff is every new bike sold and any bike used on the road weighing over 11kg must be fitted with lights to an approved standard.

The lights can be battery operated, but the German riding public seem to prefer dynamos.

Thus there are more wheels available with dyno hubs built in than not.

Here's a 319 front with Shimano dynamo.

No doubt they would sort you with a matched pair.

https://www.taylor-wheels.com/28inch-bike-front-wheel-alfine-sport-hub-dynamo-dh-s501-black

A Suoernova E3 front light which is designed for continuous running, no on/off switch, reckoned to last 100 years so no worries over a blown bulb.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy...MIxInA2rC96wIVzOvtCh0WAgs-EAYYASABEgIoQvD_BwE

Another fifty quid for the rear.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting/black-supernova-e3-dynamo-tail-light-2-rack-fitting/

None of this stuff is cheap, but you would have about as good a dyno lighting set as is currently available.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Just bought a couple of rear Volcano Eye (usb recharge) for £10. Versatile mounting.

Now waiting for some rain...

I think you would be very impressed with the light from even a basic Shimano front hub dynamo - provided it's properly wired to a decent LED light.

It's the beastly Germans again - I see Taylor Wheels have plenty of dynamo wheelsets if you fancy going all new rather than a rebuild.

I can vouch for the Mavic 319 wheels, a pair did thousands of miles on my heavy Rose ebike with a heavy me on it.

As regards a front light, budget for about £100 for something from Busch and Muller or Supernova.

Incidentally, one reason why the Germans are so good at this stuff is every new bike sold and any bike used on the road weighing over 11kg must be fitted with lights to an approved standard.

The lights can be battery operated, but the German riding public seem to prefer dynamos.

Thus there are more wheels available with dyno hubs built in than not.

Here's a 319 front with Shimano dynamo.

No doubt they would sort you with a matched pair.

https://www.taylor-wheels.com/28inch-bike-front-wheel-alfine-sport-hub-dynamo-dh-s501-black

A Suoernova E3 front light which is designed for continuous running, no on/off switch, reckoned to last 100 years so no worries over a blown bulb.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy...MIxInA2rC96wIVzOvtCh0WAgs-EAYYASABEgIoQvD_BwE

Another fifty quid for the rear.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting/black-supernova-e3-dynamo-tail-light-2-rack-fitting/

None of this stuff is cheap, but you would have about as good a dyno lighting set as is currently available.
+1 to Taylor wheels.
Though you can also, last time I looked, also get a front wheel with a shimano dynohub from Decathon for £30 - 700C or 26 inch size. Good for an intro to dynamos perhaps? (I don't use for lighting)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
+1 to Taylor wheels.
Though you can also, last time I looked, also get a front wheel with a shimano dynohub from Decathon for £30 - 700C or 26 inch size. Good for an intro to dynamos perhaps? (I don't use for lighting)

Yes, I pulled out a few links swiftly to give the questioner a few ideas about a set up.

You could probably find cheaper and almost as good or better matched components if you were buying for real.

For example, I believe there are a few models of Shimano hub dynamos.

It may be the higher rated ones are more suited if you want to run the LED lights to their best advantage.

@si_c said in another thread he commutes with dynamo lights so he is better placed to give specific advice.

si_c

Guru
Modern dynamo lights are brilliant (if you pardon the pun) for commuting for a number of reasons. They are very bright - the lamp I use kicks out a comparable amount of light and spread to my battery lamp at 500 lumens - which has proper optics - and does so with lenses which illuminate the road fully. Add in a rear lamp driven from the dynamo and you have always on lighting that in my experience (3 years of daily commutes) has failed not once.

No charging of lights, no forgetting to put them on the bike and getting caught out, just always on, day or night.

I've said in another thread that I carry a spare set of battery lights which I use as blinkies front and rear, two reasons, one in case of mechanicals and two in case the dynamo lights do fail for whatever reason I feel it prudent to carry them. I don't always use them but they are there in case.

There are some downsides to dynamo lights - specifically they do require you to keep moving - slow speeds cause the light to dim so if negotiating gates or other cycle barriers it can be a nuisance as you need the lights just as they dim a little.

Secondly when compared to battery lights in dusk conditions they are less noticeable - as DLRs they are great and at night they are bright and put the light where you need them, but in the transition periods they are harder to notice as being on. Where with a battery powered light you might up the brightness you can't do that with a dynamo. That's not to say that you can't see anything it's just that in my experience the light blends in with the surroundings better and you can't see it's effect too much, it makes me constantly double check that it's on, which of course it is. Once you get past the dusk period you get the full effect. Just something to be aware of.

In terms of the wheels mentioned above with Shimano hubs, I've got no experience of them at all - I use a SP PD-8 dynamo with a Supernova E3 Triple 2 front lamp and the E3 tail lamp. These are a bit pricier and you don't need them but I invested the extra and I've not been disappointed. The shimano hub should produce a similar level of max power and a cheaper lamp might be a good option to try to see if you like them, but the trade off is a heavier overall wheel build as well as the tradeoff in optics versus a better lamp.

Yes, I pulled out a few links swiftly to give the questioner a few ideas about a set up.

You could probably find cheaper and almost as good or better matched components if you were buying for real.

For example, I believe there are a few models of Shimano hub dynamos.

It may be the higher rated ones are more suited if you want to run the LED lights to their best advantage.

@si_c said in another thread he commutes with dynamo lights so he is better placed to give specific advice.
Wasn't criticising your post - the decathlon wheel is a cheap wheel but good for experiments/light use. The dynamo is bottom of the range but has charged my powerbanks just fine and (so far,) is running well.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Do you find changing the batteries on it on the road an issue?
I am loathe to do this on the road in the dark and so just slap another light on.
A big plus is that it uses a common mount, used for instance by many older Smart lights.
I do hope B&M continue with this light and develop it but fear that they won't.
The AA hope vision 1 was discontinued - a good light though with a far inferior beam pattern to the B&M.
If I’m honest I’ve never charged it on the road, just carried a set of spare cells in the saddlebag and not worried. Sure they might weigh something but the peace of mind is weightless!
Tbh I can see them going over to 18650 cells in the future, just hope they are removable for a quick change...

Top Bottom