Help me decide!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianco

Hi guys

Just bought an old Carlton Pro-Am 12 (1979) off of ebay for £55, its a reynold 531 frame and fork, with downtube gears etc..

I got it home last night and the bb had seized so I proceded to remove the cranks and the left one stripped the thread(cheapo raleigh cranks). Fair enough I thought, I'll have to get a new bb.

I'm now in 3 minds

a) Sell the frame on ebay and label it properly and get my money back

:sad: Use it with gears as origonally bought for, build new wheels, buy new chainset, chain, freewheel, down tube shifters etc.. Make it my Summer best bike after a couple of months of renovation

c) Used it as fixed gear, and convert my peugeot fixed gear into my geared bike.

I'm thinking more C because the peugeot is in slightly better nick and has got a rear mech hanger, unlike the Carlton which has to have the mech connected to the quick release and comes off with the wheel.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Cheers

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
option b with the caveat i) it'll cost more than a half decent new alu bike and ii) you should get rid of the downtube shifters and get sti/ergo shifters instead, unless you really prefer downtubers (i have a mate that does).

OP
OP
B

bianco

Well, the reason I was going for downtube shifters is that I have 120mm rear spacing, that leaves me with the option of 5 speed, do they do 5 speed STI's?

Cheers

Martin

bonj2

So, presumably it came with a bottom bracket which is now f**ked, but the frame itself is still ok?
Anyhow, (a). You might get more.

OP
OP
B

bianco

I've decided, I'm gonna build it up to be a proper fixed gear, chainline perfect, new paint job etc...

I'm just having a problem finding some decent dual pivot nut fittong shortish reach brakes.

I've got some alhongas(long reach) if somebody wants to swap.

Cheers

Martin

Top Bottom