help me get to know my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
that seatpost looks potentially bloody dangerous. How much is still left inside the tube? You want at least enough to go down past the depth of the top tube

OP
OP
C

carp on wheels

Regular
the bike wasn't stolen flippin heck! lol i didnt steal the bike and the guy who we bought it off didnt steal the bike, my dads a PCSO officer so if the guy is a good friend through 'work' i prosume hes a PCSO officer to so i cant imagine him going out nicking bikes!!!

were the best place to look for bike swaps? would it be a case of approaching people on ebay or is there a specific place to advertrise swaps? if i sold it for 400 ish second hand would i presume i would have to look at second hand bikes in order to get a new one at that price?

OP
OP
C

carp on wheels

Regular
thanks mate :smile: to be honest i do find it ok ye but on the odd occasion it does feel small, i mean im a tall guy and sometimes i do think....i need a bigger bike here!! especially when riding next to my brother whos got a full size frame, hes tall too. it definitely feels small in that curcumstance. but on the whole its not too bad.
If i would be sure i could get an equally good bike in return either through swapping or sellin to buy another bike i think i would do it in order to get a bigger frame. Are there any other makes of bike on par with boardman on performance and price that i could look at in terms of swapping it for something???

Cyclist33

thanks mate :smile: to be honest i do find it ok ye but on the odd occasion it does feel small, i mean im a tall guy and sometimes i do think....i need a bigger bike here!! especially when riding next to my brother whos got a full size frame, hes tall too. it definitely feels small in that curcumstance. but on the whole its not too bad.
If i would be sure i could get an equally good bike in return either through swapping or sellin to buy another bike i think i would do it in order to get a bigger frame. Are there any other makes of bike on par with boardman on performance and price that i could look at in terms of swapping it for something???

Two options leap immediately to mind if you want to keep the bike, re the seatpost. 1, lower it and an inch or so or to the safe level as marked on the post. Your body will adapt. 2, buy a longer seatpost - shop around and you'll be able to get a 400mm one. You do need to be a bit careful as my hybrid has a very low crossbar and I ran the 350mm seatpost well out of its safety zone for about 6 months and have now essentially bent the inside of the frame's seat-tube where the foot of the seatpost pushed it outwards and forwards from the inside. I now run my seatpost within the safety limits and it is not a problem but I will be getting a 400mm post as soon as. There is a risk if you run it so high that eventually the frame will lose integrity from the stress, and you don't want that happening while riding!

Longer stems can also be had if you need to stretch out the bike a bit.

Cheers

Stu

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
At your height, fit would be about a 62-65 cm frame, depending on leg length. But if you're enjoying the ride, you may be able to trade up to a bigger frame when necessary. For now, get a longer seatpost and tell folks you're using the smaller frame because its stiffer, due to the smaller triangle.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I go with all the foregoing comments regarding the seatpost. Please change it or you will damage the bike and devalue it too! Or sell it and buy one the correct size for you.

OP
OP
C

carp on wheels

Regular
got a few fresh piccys of my baby today, a few things have progressed and changed so i thought id share what iv done. First of all i have changed to position on my speedo computer so its not sticking out, more compact and streamline wer it is. Iv also got some new white bar ends and a couple of white lights to match. In terms of the size of the bike that has been discussed previously, a new seat post has been installed, and also the handle bars have been raised, so alltogether the bike now feels spot on! I then got some reflective white tape to aid visibility and also add a bit of customisation factor to my bike so i have added a bit of white on the frame and also the bottles!!! oh ye and theres a new front tyre on there as well. let me knowa what you think peeps!!!

P1010394_zps236d63a1.jpg

P1010393_zps6a3bf44b.jpg

P1010392_zpsce5164aa.jpg

OP
OP
C

carp on wheels

Regular
takin her out today for her first 'propper' ride since the changes, cant wait!

Kies

Looks odd with so much seatpost showing,but that won't be seen once your riding.
Like the white bar ends :smile:

It's too small for you. Simple fact. As you'll discover when you sooner or later ride a bike which fits you properly. I'm 6'1" and it would be too small for me. Do yourself a favour, test ride a bike which fits you. Then decide whether to keep this one or not.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Pretty much an eyeful. I like how you've used the accessories to accent the frame paint scheme. Nice augment to the overall look of the bike. I think the frame's a bit small, but we can't always bring the perfect date to the dance. And now that you have the proper length seatpost, things will be safer on the bike.

Top Bottom