Help me make a decision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul H LFC

Regular
Had a ss mountain bike which I used all summer, I got rid of it and no really regret it, I have a road bike that is surplus at the moment due to a new bike.
Im tempted to convert it to ss as I miss the grind, the route I use consists of large continuous flat runs and then a few 300 ft hill climbs, I did this no problem on my mtb with a 2:1 ratio.
It doesn't seem right spinning out on a road bike though, however I do feel I've lost something in the way of strength/fitness since I got rid of my ss.
Anyone ride a mixture of hills and flats happily on a ss road bike and what's your gear ratio?
Thanks

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
go for it , whats too lose

colly

Re member eR
Had a ss mountain bike which I used all summer, I got rid of it and no really regret it, I have a road bike that is surplus at the moment due to a new bike.
Im tempted to convert it to ss as I miss the grind, the route I use consists of large continuous flat runs and then a few 300 ft hill climbs, I did this no problem on my mtb with a 2:1 ratio.
It doesn't seem right spinning out on a road bike though, however I do feel I've lost something in the way of strength/fitness since I got rid of my ss.
Anyone ride a mixture of hills and flats happily on a ss road bike and what's your gear ratio?
Thanks
For the past 18 months or so I have been riding fixed. On a frame provided by none other than the previous poster. Most rides are hilly just because that's where I live and even though I imagined I would be struggling a lot that really hasn't been the case. Some routes I avoid it's true because I know getting up gradients of 15% to 25% on fixed simply wouldn't be possible, well not for me anyway, but in general it's been business as usual.
I don't have a huge gear to turn, I have a 44/18 which I think equates to just over 64''. It's a bit spinney on the flat and especially down hill but it feels about right when it comes to climbing. I might change it to a 17 or 16 on the back just to see how I get on.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I'm a bit of a skinny whippet and I find 2.5:1 (42:17) is fine for a mixture of hills and flats. I've been up plenty of single chevron (15-20% gradient) hills on that ratio, although to be fair, most of them were quite short, and almost certainly much closer to 15% than 20%. The one thing you definitely won't be able to do is chase down other cyclists on the flat or gentle downhills. The upside is that the improved fitness will enable you to whip their butts on the climbs. The lack of multiple gears, and just coasting gently down hills will make it a relaxing ride. If the bike is spare and you have the cash I'd go straight ahead and convert it.

OP
OP
P

Paul H LFC

Regular
Thanks very much for the advice everyone my decision is made, I had 42 -20 on my mtb and that was fine for the hills I was doing, I may try 42-18 and then just take it from there, I still have most of the bits to convert it, I may change the drops to the bullhorn type bars with bar end shifters, can feel a little project coming on

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Thanks very much for the advice everyone my decision is made, I had 42 -20 on my mtb and that was fine for the hills I was doing, I may try 42-18 and then just take it from there, I still have most of the bits to convert it, I may change the drops to the bullhorn type bars with bar end shifters, can feel a little project coming on
Let us know how you get on after a few weeks of riding.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I commute 36 miles a day (not every day yet).

Peak District to Stockport and Manchester Airport with some sharp climbs plus a long (2mile) slog on the way home. About 1hr 5mins on the way home, 5 mins less in morning.

Gear is 48/17 which I think is about 79 inches.

(although I think I was happier when I was using a 46 tooth ring- 77 I think it was)

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Paul H LFC

Regular
Dear god, 48/17 across the peak district sounds like torture, I have a brand new 34t singlespeed chainring so im going to try a 15 or 16t sprocket first and go from there, remembering how great the summer was has made me decide to also convert my current mtb over the winter with a view to being permanent

Edit; that ratio may not be great on road, 34:14 is 66 inches according to the calculator, that may be my first combination actually

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I ride 48 x 17 and find that just fine, although have built up to that as used to ride 42 x 16 but felt that too spinny. My commute is not exactly flat but it also does not have any major climbs. probably climb about 1500ft a day approx, maybe more on the bike over a 30 mile round trip.

OP
OP
P

Paul H LFC

Regular
I haven't bought the bits for the road bike yet, just ordered a spacer kit and 18t sprocket for the mtb though, I think I will need a bigger chainring for the road bike, I have been solely on the mtb the last few weeks so want that doing first, may regret throwing out the lockout lever for the forks, thanks for the input all cant wait to upgrade my bikes to ss again,

OP
OP
P

Paul H LFC

Regular
Okay guys, just worked out that 48/17 is almost the same as 34/12

As I require a tensioner will 34/12 be okay chainwrap wise? I have a new 34t chainring you see

Thanks

Top Bottom