Help, me pick a new car!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alcdrew

OK, going to be buying a new car soon, after 3 months without one.

Just looking for a smallish family car. But must be Eco friendly, with maximum CO2 emissions of 120g, 4-5 doors, automatic and cost no more than 13,000. I have slowly been going through manufactures websites trying to find ones that sell such cars, so I can start going around the garages to see them, but I'm finding it hard to find anything matching the above criteria.

Only one so far is a Toyota Yaris. Any one know of or are willing to start searching for any others that I can look at?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You won't be disapointed with a Yaris - had ours 8 years and has been fantastic - still does upto 60mpg on a run (1.0 petrol).

How about an Aygo - more of a town car, but will take 4 people.

HelenD123

Guru
I have one of the new version Yaris but the 1.3 version not the 1.0 which must be the one you've seen with lower C02 emissions. I really like it and it's plenty roomy enough for a family. I've had two adults in the back and they've commented on how much space there was. I've had the 1 litre version as a courtesy car but thought the engine was much coarser than mine, but I guess I'm just used to something different.

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

Actual looking at the 1.4 diesel Yaris, it dose look good and fits the bill. Will go take a proper look at it over the weekend. With two out of two on the recommendations it can't be that bad, only thing I'm a little worried about is there auto gear box, apparently it's not a standard auto box and some people have said it's really bad. But the wife is refusing to drive a manual again, the last car we had was auto and she seems to be scared of trying gears again.

fossyant, I think the Aygo will a be a bit too small and B 1.0 engine a bit on the sluggish side, although the car will 99% of the time just be used around town it will also go on much longer trips, down to Cornwall to visit family and stuff, so really want something with a bit more omph to it.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
5 door 107?
£35 to tax, only 4 seats though, but there is enough room in there. We had one as a courtesy car and we had 4 in it, and my brothers are 5"8 and 5"9 and they were in the back. Bit squased but wasnt bad. Boot space isnt bad, and the good thing is if you want more boot space then you pull a tab on the back of the seat and the seat folds down.
The engine note on them is strange, because the engine isnt like normal car engines so its a higher pitch. Its abit plasticy aswell.
Theres a Fiesta that is diesel, does a high MPG and has a tax which costs £35 aswell. A friend has one/had one and the £35 tax and high MPG made it good for him. Not sure on pricing on the Fiesta though, might be lucky to get one cheap.
A friend used to work in rental cars and said that the Yaris was one of the cars that really stood up to the abuse that the customers gave it, and a few people there had them and would thrash them about for the 6months they had them and they stood up to that.

Maz

Guru
Another vote for Yaris. Surprisingly roomy.
And it's Japanese - unless you're really unlucky it should run and run and run.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I usually choose a car by colour... currently I'm into blue ones. :smile:

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

Smeggers said:

Would a new one of them really come in the 13k budget??

Joe24 said:
5 door 107?

Bit small, the 207 looks nice though, but doesn't seem to have a eco (£35road tax) auto model.

walker said:
Honda Jazz?

or how about a Skoda fabia?

or that electric hybrid thingy, honda

Will have a look at those, think the hybrid thing will be out of budget though.

cannondale boy

Über Member
Ford fiesta 1.4 diesel, one of my colleagues has one, not bad space and drives pretty well (so he told me). Only down side is that it will depreciate, not like the yaris.

I do like the new shape of the yaris, so if i were you i would go for that car!

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

walker said:
sorry alc, Does it have to be brand new? I was looking at the S/H range for a Hybrid

Ideally looking for new. But never say never, if the deal was right I might be pushed to go to up to a year old.

Edit, but cheers the Jazz is probably with taking a proper look at.

Top Bottom