Help, me pick a new car!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

Alcdrew said:
Ideally looking for new. But never say never, if the deal was right I might be pushed to go to up to a year old.

Edit, but cheers the Jazz is probably with taking a proper look at.

a family member owns the Jazz, and they seem to like it, in fact they are on their second one

Smeggers

Both my sisters have Jazz's one is yellow and one is black.

Both have four wheels and a further wheel to steer with.

.... Beyond that I'm struggling!!!

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

Any body tried/ know someone with a Polo bluemotion. OK it doesn't fit all my criteria in that it's not automatic. But think the wife might over look that as it a VW and she loved our old Golf.

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

the reports sound ok. They've had to strip it right down though to get it into band A, like removing the aircon and narrowing the tyres. And there's a rumour that the radio only goes up to 5.

I was thinking more of the bluemotion2 which does have air-con etc... and at 13500 only a little more than I wanted to pay. And I'm sure the radio doesn't need to go above 5 as if its anything like other VW it'll be quiet to run.:biggrin:

I'll take a look at the Daihatsu though cheers.

bonj2

i've just recently got a new yaris, it rules :biggrin:

it was a lot less than 13,000 aswell. 8,600 to be precise:thumbsup:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Unless you are doing a high annual mileage I would steer clear of diesel, particularly if it is common rail. Not only does the juice cost a fair bit more now, modern diesels are developing a reputation for expensively troublesome electronics and fuel systems.

Have a search through the previously recommended Honest John site for plenty of threads on this. (BTW, he is not a cycle hating git, a very pleasant guy actually).

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

Smokin Joe said:
Unless you are doing a high annual mileage I would steer clear of diesel, particularly if it is common rail. Not only does the juice cost a fair bit more now, modern diesels are developing a reputation for expensively troublesome electronics and fuel systems.

Have a search through the previously recommended Honest John site for plenty of threads on this. (BTW, he is not a cycle hating git, a very pleasant guy actually).

Honest John said:
Good: More room and better handling than the previous version. Excellent crash test rating. Best engine is 1.4 D-4D diesel.

I will search some more about this possible diesel problem though, as were not a high mileage user.

bonj said:
it was a lot less than 13,000 as well. 8,600 to be precise

The model I have in mind TR diesel automatic with metallic paint comes in at about £12300

At the moment the Yaris seems to be winning. But I'm planning to go look at the Yaris, Polo, maybe the diatsu, Jazz and Mazda 2. But still looking, think the more I go to look at the better want to be able to compare.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
VW aren't as good as they were !
Diesel auto is top premium money - the diesel yaris isn't much better than the petrol really !

The 1.0 Yaris of old was a four pot - the new one is a 3 pot and not as smooth, but being a VVT, if you do want it to shift you do need to boot it - i.e. redline it !

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I learnt to drive in a Yaris. I hear the later model yarises are even better. I'd not say it's a small family car but would be on standards of the past. Thought it was pretty nippy, especially compared to some of the economic car competitors.

Auto box seems to be the snag with the spec. I think there is a big problem getting an auto that will do the job in a smallish car. Usually needs a bit of a bigger engine to cope so pops you up in the tax bracket (and burns lots of fuel too)

Hire a manual MINI for the weekend for the wife and let her out in it on her own and she will be sold on the manual again.

My C Class estate diesel 6 speed does 60+ mpg and did get 66 mpg once. Wifes 306 D can't beat that so don't be frightend of a bit of a bigger car with a 6 speed diesel box. You can get the economy out of them as they sit on 2000 revs almost all the time.

Honest John is good but seems to be sold on odd non mainstream cars a bit.

Top Bottom