Help, me pick a new car!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Alcdrew said:
I will search some more about this possible diesel problem though, as were not a high mileage user.

The model I have in mind TR diesel automatic with metallic paint comes in at about £12300
A lot of people go for diesels because they're perceived as more economical but don't actually do the sums - you've got to work out how much you're actually saving in fuel costs and subtract the increased purchase price. The increased purchased price may be more than the cost saving!

bonj2

If you wanted to be different...

http://www.daihatsu.co.uk/materia/

that's horrible.

Night Train

Maker of Things
bonj said:
A lot of people go for diesels because they're perceived as more economical but don't actually do the sums - you've got to work out how much you're actually saving in fuel costs and subtract the increased purchase price. The increased purchased price may be more than the cost saving!
When I bought my Skoda 1.9 TDi Estate I didn't worry about the 'payback savings' from using diesel. I was happy to pay a bit more so long as I used less fuel overall. Having said that I do 20,000+ miles a year and so that wouldn't have been a problem anyway.
However, I do also get over 60mpg on my daily commute and on one occasion got over 70mpg from Manchester to Birmingham and back.
The economy was down to 45mpg when I tried biodiesel, B100, for a while so I am back on mineral diesel.

I had to use two petrol cars recently, a 1.6 Astra and a 1.8 Zafira. The Astra only gave me 36mpg and the Zafira gave me 38mpg on the same commute.

Plax

Guru
Beat me to it - I was going to suggest the VW Polo Blue Motion.
When my car finally falls to bits, I'm rather inclined to check out one of them. Hopefully there'll be a few second hand ones knocking about then. Otherwise I'll have to resort to my other choice of a Daihatsu Hijet :biggrin:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
If you're not a badge obsessive, you could also look at the new Kia Ceed.
They do a 1.6 Auto 5 door at about the right price, and unlike most it comes with a 7 year warranty.
Press seems to review them quite highly.

Smeggers

I did do the comparison sums and on a 3 year lease and 25K miles PA - petrol is cheaper than diesel. (taking into account everything).

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

Kestevan said:
If you're not a badge obsessive, you could also look at the new Kia Ceed.
They do a 1.6 Auto 5 door at about the right price, and unlike most it comes with a 7 year warranty.
Press seems to review them quite highly.

Not badge obsessed, although the wife isn't far off. I have see the Kia in real life though and didn't like it, on paper it looks good you get a lot for your money. But to do that they have skimped on everything else, in side the plastic is very cheap and doesn't feel comfy to sit in.

Over The Hill said:
Auto box seems to be the snag with the spec. I think there is a big problem getting an auto that will do the job in a smallish car. Usually needs a bit of a bigger engine to cope so pops you up in the tax bracket (and burns lots of fuel too)

Hire a manual MINI for the weekend for the wife and let her out in it on her own and she will be sold on the manual again.

Thats pretty much the conclusion I've come to, seems impossible to get a eco auto car. I like your idea of hiring a manual for her, so she can see it's not as hard as she thinks it is.

Smeggers said:
I did do the comparison sums and on a 3 year lease and 25K miles PA - petrol is cheaper than diesel. (taking into account everything).

I will do some sums on this for our predicted driving and see. But the main reason for looking at diesels is that they are the only engine you can get other then 1.0's that meet the lower emissions, which I'm keen on, and not only for the low road tax, but also because I like the idea of trying to help the 'greenhouse effect' as much as I can.

Plax said:
Beat me to it - I was going to suggest the VW Polo Blue Motion.

I have a VW garage around the corner from my work, so as long as it's not pouring down with rain, I will be popping round there at lunch time to take a look. Assuming they have one in the showroom.

bonj2

Alcdrew said:
fossyant, I think the Aygo will a be a bit too small and B 1.0 engine a bit on the sluggish side, although the car will 99% of the time just be used around town it will also go on much longer trips, down to Cornwall to visit family and stuff, so really want something with a bit more omph to it.

Can somebody possibly please explain the rationale behind the notion that the longer journeys you do, the more power you need? :eek:

Night Train

Maker of Things
bonj said:
Can somebody possibly please explain the rationale behind the notion that the longer journeys you do, the more power you need? :eek:
It is to do with the wear and tear on the mechanicals.
Small engines with lower power have to work harder to maintain high speeds for long periods. Do this often and it may lead to extra wear.
A bigger, more powerful, engine can run at high speeds for longer as the engine isn't working as hard and so doesn't suffer as much wear.

It is also easier on the driver as it is often quieter with less vibration and less need for gear changes on long climbs and overtaking slow lorries.

The economy thing can come into play too. A big engine may be pulling 70mph at 1500-2000 rpm whereas a small engine may need lower gearing and so be running at 4000-5500rpm. This could increase the fuel consumption of the small engine over the big engine though it also depends on the size of the big engine and its overall efficiency.

A diesel engine will also run at a lower rpm at 70mph then a petrol engine at the same road speed and this adds to less wear and less fuel consumption.

You could imagine it as getting your little kid to keep up with you on a cycle tour. The kid might just be able to get to a good speed for a while spinning his/her little legs off but you could do it with less effort for much longer and pulling a higher gear.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You only need the power if you are going to be booting it... especially on the motorway....

A 1.0 is fine on the M-way at legal speeds, so long as you don't need to slow down and get past folk and stuff - if you want a nice drive, take your time then they are fine....

Modern VVT engines need revving if you want the power - i.e. tootle along it's economical, but if you want the power, you will have to rag it... 5,6,7k rpm.... it's fine, so long as the car is looked after....

Our Yaris is a VVT and petrol - fab on fuel and stuff, and even OK if driven fast as it's a small engine.

My Nissan Primera is a 1.8 with VVT - shift's like it's ass is on fire (for a family saloon) when needed, and aero styling and stuff, but it's crap in town traffic - heavy car smallish engine....

Hate diesels - as a biker the bloody things put out sooo much soot and carp..... petrol is cleaner..... only this Govt's CO2 rubbish - what about the rubbish cyclists intake from diesel cars.....

Get a bike !

If you want to buy into the save the planet stuff get a Mercedes Diesel (Gasp)
It is as economical as a small petrol car (town 45+ mpg my commute 60+)
It should last about 25 years. Your little car will be knackered in 8 years so you need the input to make three cars for one Merc. It takes many years of running a car to match the pollution and energy put into making the thing.
My C Class is 6 years old and done 120k but still runs like new and returns good economy. It seems a no brainer to suffer a farty little car.

On the soot from a diesel. Someone did develop a soot remover that worked like a dyson vacuum with a vortex thing in it.
Dont know why they did not catch on or become compulsory. Apart from the soot diesel burns cleaner. Modern ones are much better and cleaner anyway.

bonj2

Rigid Raider said:
Citroen C1. Astonishing little car; my wife has one and we love it.

I didn't buy a citroen partly because the dealer wasn't very enthusiastic to sell me one!;)
When we asked if he had one for sale, he was like "oh, we might have one round the back, dunno if it's for sale though..."

walker

bonj said:
Can somebody possibly please explain the rationale behind the notion that the longer journeys you do, the more power you need? ;)
for me it was the case of getting somewhere in 2 hours or getting there in 1.5hours and under, when plod wasn't looking

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

bonj said:
Can somebody possibly please explain the rationale behind the notion that the longer journeys you do, the more power you need? :biggrin:

My thinking on this was like what Night Train said. But other say this isn't true. But having had a quick look at the VW Polo which is another car I'm considering the 1.2 only returns 48.7 MPG but the 1.4 does 44.8 and a diesel 1.4 does 62.8 MPG. So there must be some truth to the smaller engines work hard so burn more fuel.

Top Bottom