Help me please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is a big ask, but I'm going to go ahead and ask, because I'm about to reach a financial buffer.

Since I left the previous lot I've been working on this: www.disabilitybikes.co.uk - because I want to continue doing what I'm good at, which is putting people with disabilities on bikes. I've already proved I can build a successful disability retail operation because I've already done this very thing for someone else over the last six years - but I want to do it better. I have an agreement with one supplier in the bag and am in discussion with several more - who have all made very positive noises in response to my request to become a dealer for their products.

If the worst comes to the worst I'll go back to plumbing. Which I hate, which am terribly out of practice at and that in itself would need a lot of input to turn it into a viable business.

Having worked in bicycle retail and for a Community Interest Company on sh!t wages for all my adult life I don't have any savings to carry me over. So I need some seed money to keep us afloat until my cashflow improves, and rather than ask one or a few folks for big sums I'd prefer to ask a lot of people for small amounts.

I have a donate button here: www.disabilitybikes.co.uk/payments

What I'm offering is an opportunity to help get my company off the ground - whose primary aim is to get people cycling. I don't want to make a fortune off it, I might even convert it into a CIC or a Workers Coop once it's rolling. You'd be a sponsor/investor/donator (donor?) If you want the money back I'll make every effort to repay you. At some point..

You're my dragons. Any questions?

Last edited:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Are the investments on a "nil interest rate" basis?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Can you get a community funding grant or similar to help as it's a charity business ,or help from a mobile aid organisation?

Just thinking out loud so sorry if this is a none starter

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
How much do you need?

So I'm starting with nowt, no premises and no stock. Only my expertise and the website. I can sell certain bikes, fully assembled, straight from my suppliers - without ever seeing the bike, and sometimes without meeting the client. Other bikes, at least initially, I'll sell on a commission only basis, as an agent rather than a reseller. Smaller margins but less risk. I'm confident I can build it from here, but it'll be a slow process.

With £5k, £10k, £20k I can acquire a fleet of demonstrators, which are essential sales tools if I'm to sell into SEN schools, local authority disability cycling schemes. That's where I want to be placed, and that's where the big turnover is. I've got cheap premises lined up, I don't need to be on the High Street, and I'll rent a van when I need one.

So, to answer your question: I need £1600 per month to keep us afloat. Anything over this will be invested into demo bikes, stock of parts and accessories etc.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
Would GBCycling or Cycling UK be able to give you some help?

I might be able to sell them something.

Top Bottom