Help me start my first project....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gzoom

Über Member
Having recently rediscovered the joys of peddling, am keen to try my hand at my first project bike.

This is my old commuter, its fairly old but actually pretty light - sub 11kgs.

The mechanical disc brakes am keen to get rid off, and I have a spare set of wheels from my road bike am keen to use.

Fancy the idea of turning the bike into a single gear or even fixie?? Convert to rim brakes, and use it as a simple/light commuter bike.

I'm quite happy swapping stems/handle bars, have swapped cassettes before and fitted/lined rim brake, but no idea about BB/cranks/gears.

Any one gives a tip where to start?? The wheels I want to use current have a 105 cassette on, as I've said I have no idea if I can even use these wheels with a singe gear??

For crankset to a single ring, do I need to change the BB, and what does that even involve?

49657517643_d83331695f_c.jpg

49792192307_fda2738314_c.jpg

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It seems to have vertical dropouts, so fixing it is going to be difficult. A singlespeed can use a chain tensioner but that ruins the clean looks. An ENO eccentric hub can sort it but will cost more than buying a more suitable (older) frame and doing the conversion.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As above the only option with that frame is to use a chain tensioner. A steel frame with horizontal drop outs is the best starting point. You could use those wheels with that but you'll need to pay attention to the chain line which should be juggled by moving the ss sprocket.
There are a few vids on YouTube detailing a build like this.

Sharky

Guru
To convert to a single at the front is quite easy. But you will need a new set of chain ring bolts (shorter). You can mount the single chain ring inside or outside to give the best alignment for your normal riding.

You might want to ditch the 34/54 rings and get a size in between. And a narrow/wide ring to help keep the chain on. I used a 40T race face ring. Will also need to revisit chain length. Probably can take out a link if running with a smaller front ring.

How many sprockets on your road wheel? If different will run into indexing issues.

There have been a couple of threads recently, converting mtb's to gravel bikes.
The latter are over priced at the moment, so a build your own seems like a good route.
Good luck.
Will await the photos

Top Bottom