HELP ME TACKLE BIKE CRIME!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robz400

Could you not put your efforts towards campaining for a change in the law that allows the use of unimaginable violence against any bike theif...

Lazy-Commuter

How about some sort of sharp pointy metal object inside the seat post that is fired upwards at high speed when the buttock recognition system on the seat detects an unfamiliar bottom placed upon it? :birthday:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Lazy-Commuter said:
How about some sort of sharp pointy metal object inside the seat post that is fired upwards at high speed when the buttock recognition system on the seat detects an unfamiliar bottom placed upon it? :birthday:

Nice idea, like it :ohmy:

Lazy-Commuter

I think I first encountered it as a suggestion in a motorcycle magazine for motorbike security. Although there it was going to emerge from under the fuel tank so that if it was a bloke nicking the bike the spike would, in the words of Baldrick, "hit his willy and thereby be prevented from entering the body". :birthday:

RufusA

Über Member
Whenever I read requests like this, it always strikes me that it's a piece of school / college homework rather than a serious business proposition.

"Class, for your business studies assignment you need to identify a new product for something you are interested in, and write a business plan for developing and marketing it."

Possibly unfairly but I think that anyone seriously considering carrying 2 full size secure wheel clamps on a commuter bike is not a regular cyclist, and has little idea about the needs of commuters etc.

For me a useful product would be a secure "accesories" bag. Something small and light (water proof?) that I could chuck my pump, lights, saddle wedge, cycle computer in to and chain to the bike, secure in the knowledge that it can't easily be pinched! Something with a hole for a U-Lock or similar through it that prevents the zip being operated, but could easily be folded / stowed away quickly when not required.

The nearest I've seen are panniers with locks which aren't exactly slash proof and too big / bulky to not cause a terror alert if left unattended at a station or similar.

HTH - Rufus.

bikie

Über Member
how about some way of sending a electric current through the frame so if it is touched it gives them a shock, enough to throw them about 6-10 feet

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I have an idea:

Fake - odourless do poo. The owner would carry a small pot of this item & smear it (liberally) onto the grips when leaving the bike. The phoney doo-doo could be easily wiped off with tissue or wipes (unlikely that any speculative bike thieves will be carryng any).

I think fame and fortune bekon ;)

OP
OP
N

nickallen1984

Thanks for all the responses so far...... some of them are very helpful, some useless! (you know who you are!)

to answer a few questions...

Yes, this is for my third year uni work. i am studying product design, and am entering into a national competition by the RSA. I have been given this project to do, and it will hopefully help in getting me a job in the design industry when I graduate next year.

So far i have developed a slash proof bag that can cover a bike and secure itself to a rail or alike. it is very light weight, and can packed quickly into a cylindrical tube 25cm long and 10 cm in diameter. this can be fixed to a bike frame or carried in a backpack.

other ideas are developed on the same idea of the bag. instead of being folded up into a cylinder, it could fold into a backpack, or possibly into some sort of jacket (possibly incorperated into a jacket - i.e. it could be zipped to the back of a waterproof or alike).

I am also looking into areas of security that don't involve locks - i.e. safer areas to store bikes in city centres etc. i am working from ideas such as the bike tree (bellow) and other ideas.
biketree.jpg

any help would be great!

thanks

Willow

Tharg2007 said:
i have another idea, how about a special cable lock that works like a switch when tampered, you then mount a box on the back of the bike and inside is a concealed pitbull, when the lock is messed with the pitbull is released and the thief is chomped
:wacko:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you can do any bike cover that fits into 25 x 10cm then that's good - slash proof as well !!!!

Bike tree - hmm - exposed to the elements..........nice idea though.

OP
OP
N

nickallen1984

the pacsafe55 is the main source of inspiation of the bag idea, here is a pic of how it works:
pacsafe55_safety.jpg

this would be annoying to place on a bike as parts of the bike would tangle with the wires, so i'm trying to develope it a little more so that it is a smooth bag with the mesh embedded inside.

i will also try to make the wire that locks it to the pillar a little stronger, as it is still easily cuttable in this state. possibly try and incorperate a D lock of some sort?

what are your opinions?

Top Bottom