Help me work out what extras I need to buy for road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cambsno

Pretty certain to be getting my bike through cycle to work scheme so want to be prepared and get all the add ons at the same time. Think I know what I want but worth checking!!!

Will be using the bike to get to work (9 or 10 miles each way) and for getting fit - not really sure what that means in terms of time and distance, I am guessing trips of 30 miles or so?

- SPD Pedals and shoes
- Multi tool for adjustments on the fly
- Inner tube
- Co2 cartridge & pump
- small bag for under saddle for above
- Bottle holder and bottle

Am undecided about mud-guards, tend to be fair-weather so thinking no for now but that could change later in the year. Already have helmet.

vickster

Legendary Member
Track pump for home
and mini pump (to carry on bike as well as the CO2 if you have to have that)
Lights, front and rear
Get two cages and bottles if doing 30 miles in summer
Two inner tubes at least
Tyre levers
Glasses to protect eyes from dust and bugs

SPD shoes and pedals aren't necessary but up to you

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Am undecided about mud-guards, tend to be fair-weather so thinking no for now but that could change later in the year.
It would be better if you decided that BEFORE you buy your bike - some bikes can have proper mudguards fitted, whereas others have to use clip-on partial mudguards because they are not designed for conventional ones.

You won't want to be getting soaked by spray on your commutes and you might well want to carry stuff on a rack so I would buy a bike with mudguards and rack fitted or at least one that can have them easily added later.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The list is sensible. If you're commuting I would advise mudguards; either permanent or clip-on.

How are you intending to carry items? Either it'll be via a backpack (my choice) or panniers/rack bag.

My advice is to have a change of clothes at work, just in case, together with some spare 'emergency' bike clothes if yours get soaked accidentally.

You don't mention how your bike's to be stored. A good D-lock is essential.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Get a couple of locks.

One heavy duty you can leave at work and use when you are away from the bike for long periods. The second one for when visiting the pub or a cfe and bike will be in sight or you won't be gone that long.

vickster

Legendary Member
Get a cable for the front wheel too when leaving for any length of time. Cambridge has extremely high rates of theft

Make sure the bike is fully insured, including accessories as you’re buying on C2W and you have to pay for it even if it gets stolen

Good afternoon,

Shoes are pushing the limits on what is acceptable. :-)

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/employment-income-manual/eim21664

Examples of items that do not count as cyclists’ safety equipment include:
  • waterproof clothing that is not reflective clothing
Whether your chosen shop or your payroll people will care is another matter.

Remember this stuff isn't free, so spending £100 for SPD pedals and cycling shoes just for the discount? :-)

Bye

Ian

Cycleops

Legendary Member
IYou’ll get sweaty even on a ten mile commute so I would buy some cycling shorts (don’t need to be Lycra), Endura Humvees are great, and a jersey plus a waterproof/warm top. Keep your work clothes at work, change, &shower if you can.
I should forget the spd shoes etc, for now, buy a pair of stiff soled MTB shoes from Decathlon which can take cleats if you want to try later.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Good afternoon,

Shoes are pushing the limits on what is acceptable. :-)

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/employment-income-manual/eim21664

Examples of items that do not count as cyclists’ safety equipment include:
  • waterproof clothing that is not reflective clothing
Whether your chosen shop or your payroll people will care is another matter.

Remember this stuff isn't free, so spending £100 for SPD pedals and cycling shoes just for the discount? :-)

Bye

Ian
Some retailers like Evans actually allow you to buy anything you may want, eg carbon wheels, don’t even need to buy a bike.
Whether that’s acceptable will depend on the individual

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Vickster has said pretty much word for word what I would have said.
Track pump, tubes, repair kit, tubes, mini pump and a couple of bottles and cages especially. Clipless pedals are something you can decide on later.
(And I'm not anti-clipless by the way as I've had it on all my road bikes, it's just that all my riding this year has been on big flat pedals and I'm not any worse for it).

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cambsno

Track pump for home
and mini pump (to carry on bike as well as the CO2 if you have to have that)
Lights, front and rear
Get two cages and bottles if doing 30 miles in summer
Two inner tubes at least
Tyre levers
Glasses to protect eyes from dust and bugs

SPD shoes and pedals aren't necessary but up to you

Meant to have said home pump, lights and glasses have already.

Interesting that people are less keen on Co2 - I thought it looked a good, light system (and quick) - the mini pumps I have had in the past have not been that great!

I am unlikely to bike to work in the wet - hence why some clip on types are probably my preference, in my old job I would bike 4 days a week in weeks like this, and maybe only a few days in the whole of Dec.

Have towels, showers & lockers at work so would be leaving all that stuff there when I drive in - I may take a small rucksack in if needed and if I had to cold utilise by rack and pannier from hybrid which just attaches to the seat.

Shoes - undecided. I know that I have lost footing when going for it in the past, and as this will be for exercise too I think there are some advantages but as I have not used them before I dont know whether I will use them a few times then abandon, or be my best friend!!!

I have a metal chain lock (combo) with fabric covering, fairly thick and I guess just wrap it round the bar

Top Bottom