Help, my bike has shrunk...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, it must have done, cause I haven't grown...

Seriously, I have always been dead comfortable on it, but over the past few rides, the reach has for some reasons felt really short. Feel like I want to be more stretched out, and I'm sort of sitting on the back of the saddle and pushing against the handlebars rather than resting on top of them. I think this might be partly due to them currently being slightly higher than the saddle because of the stack of spacers underneath. Was going to shift them round a few weeks ago, but had a girly moment, the bolts are so tight i can't get them loose and haven't had a chance to visit the lbs yet :laugh:. Will moving them down a bit help in increasing reach?

The stem is already 110mm long, so I don't really want to put a longer one on, however, it has something like a 25 degree rise, so would flipping it or putting one with less rise on help? Have also been considering bar ends, I know they are a bit of a no-no on riser bars, but am just thinking the different hand positions might be useful for Amsterdame...just those short stumpy ones would do...

I think it's felt shorter since I shortened the handlebars, as they were so wide that my hands ended up hurting because of being at a funny angle, but obviously that has now made me more upright, and therefore it all seems shorter...

Any help appreciated!!!

domtyler

Über Member
You mention twenty five degrees, but are you sure you didn't wash it at sixty degrees?

I think lowering them will definitely help. And I know you're not supposed to but bar ends will extend your reach, really helpful I find. You could also leave it at this height and put flatbars and bar ends on or would that look funny (what bike is it)?

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
It's a trek 4300, like in the picture - apart from the forks which I upgraded to Toras...

4300_07.jpg

Just don't understand why it suddenly feels so short...

Reasons for it suddenly feeling different: You've adapted to more riding and therefore your body is trying to take a more efficient position. Might be time to re-set things like saddle height and position and bar height. Sometimes a few small changes is all it takes.

I know my riding position has changed over the years: Not as flexible as I used to be :laugh: so my Marin needs a steeper angle stem on it now and you'll find me on the drops far less often unless there's an Osteopath handy at the end of the ride :biggrin:

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
The one thing I know is right is the saddle height. So as that can't go any further up, because I would not be able to get my feet on the pedals anymore, I suppose something else will have to go down, as nothing can go forwards or backwards really...

Mac66

May just be that all the riding you are doing has increased your flexibility and your natural riding position has changed as a result.

Are you sure that you haven't got saddle creep as well. Its a nasty condition you know.

Care to demo the flexibility?:laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Try flipping the stem if you can - can't be having bars higher than the saddle - they should be at least 4 -6 inches lower than the saddle..... :blush:;)

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
fossyant said:
Try flipping the stem if you can - can't be having bars higher than the saddle - they should be at least 4 -6 inches lower than the saddle..... ;);)

In your dreams!!! Not that flexible!!!

As for the saddle, it's still were it always was...might try moving it back a couple of milimeters, although that would get my knee slightly behind the pedal axle... But it sounds like the main thing will be to get the bars further down, so I suppose a trip to the lbs is in order for a strong man to loosen the bolts...

Night Train

Maker of Things
I found a very similar thing when I got back into riding. I ended up pushing the seat back along the stem clamps until it jammed and then I got a different saddle that allowed just a little bit more. I then changed the handlebar clamp for an adjustable one and found a better bar position.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
In fact, here is a picture of the Simon in real life, rather than the stock picture... that should give you a better idea of the current setup (ignore the horrid mudguards :biggrin:)

037.jpg

Taken 5 minutes before the p-fairy attack :sad:

simonali

Guru
That stem has a pretty big angle on it and flipping it will make the bars a lot lower. Might be worth getting an 8° one, which will provide 2 lower, but similar positions to try out?

We have two-way adjustable stem @ work. It's very neat (if a little heavy) and once installed can be adjusted without tools. You're welcome borrow it to establish your ideal position.

Top Bottom