Help, my bike has shrunk...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
That would be fab - might take you up on that one... Off to the lbs tomorrow anyway for various things, so will see if they can swap the spacers round for me to see if that makes a difference... If not, I would like to borrow your stem! Funnily enough, it didn't feel quite as short as it has done recently on yesterday's ride, although still slightly cramped...

Those riser bars come back as well don't they. Just try sitting on the bike with someone supporting it and settle forward into a position that's comfortable i.e. don't grasp the bars but rest on them with your wrists/arms, see if it feels more stretched.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Well, just been to lbs, they swapped some of the spacers over, so the bars are now a bit lower, which gives me a bit more reach. Also had some barends fitted (the short stumpy ones) ;):blush: Yes, they do look awful, but for 275m I just need all the comfort I can get, have a feeling they'll be ripped off as soon as we get back... Ride home is only 1.5 miles, so will have to check on a longer stretch if it feels better now...

PS If I do want to take them back off, will I have to get new grips? Do they cut the end of them?

simonali

Guru
Only if your hands have got smaller! ;)

No, they probably just move them (and the brake levers etc) inwards.

simonali

Guru
punkypossum said:
In fact, here is a picture of the Simon in real life, rather than the stock picture... that should give you a better idea of the current setup (ignore the horrid mudguards :o)

037.jpg

Taken 5 minutes before the p-fairy attack :biggrin:

Is your bike called Simon? ;)

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
UPDATE: Well, moving the stem down by 2 spacers seems to have done the trick, much more comfortable now and not feeling crunched and hunched anymore. Barends stayed on for a bit, but were doing my head in as they were making the handlebars just that bit too narrow, especially as I like to have my hands right on the end of the bars. Actually ended up with sore hands from trying to push the barends out of the way while riding... Anyway, they are gone (good job too, they looked horrid) and Simon got treated to a lovely new pair of lizzard skin lock on grips :biggrin:

Only thing I'm worried about now is my bum...sitbones rather sore after yesterdays 40miler (they have been ok up to now), but I haven't got enough time to experiment with a different saddle as the bikes are going to the lbs for their service on tuesday and won't be released till Saturday, which means we are down to the last week and I don't really want to squeeze lots of long rides into that... Heyho..will just have to live with it I suppose... :thumbsup: I'm off work for a few days after we come back, so I suppose it doesn't matter if I can't sit down!!

simonali

Guru
Assos Mille shorts is what you need. Tres comfy!

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
So are my trek ones, but my bum is clearly too bony... Still, went out for another ride tonight, and although it was sore for the first ten minutes, everything then seemed to bed itself back in, so I'm feeling hopeful...

Top Bottom