Help Needed Gears Slipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu Smith

Veteran
Hi all,
Recentley pulled my winter bike back out..
To find the gremlins had been at it. When the bike was put away all was working fine, no problems whatsoever.
First outing the gears where slipping. Typical problem I can set it up and the gear change will be fine for the fist 4 cogs and then slip on the next cog, I then adjust so as not to slip then it will not change into the very bottom cog (Smallest cog). Only turning barrel adjuster 1/4 turn each time.
List of things I've done to rectify to no avail.
1/ New inner and outer cables fitted and indexed correctly - Still slipping.
2/ New rear hanger fitted, re indexed - Still slipping
3/ Had a brand new rear derailer fitted and set up - Still slipping
4/ Made sure the back wheel is sitting in the dropouts correct. - Still slipping.

Its not a regular slip sometimes I can ride using all gears for 30 - 40 mins and it will work fine, then all of a sudden I will change gear and I will get the slipping and the chain wanting to climb up onto the next ring. Stop adjust and will be fine again for a little while..

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Have you had a new chain fitted during all this?
If you have it could be skipping occasionally on the worn cassette. If it is the original chain then check carefully for any stiff links.

Reactions: C R

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Have you got any stiff chain links? The only times I've had issues with the chain skipping sprockets has been where a stiff link does not fully straighten and so cannot mesh properly. The symptom was always worse on the smaller sprockets, less noticeable on the large ones. Applying oil and working the stiff link by hand until it freed off properly solved the problem in my case.

OP
OP
Stu Smith

Stu Smith

Veteran
Have you had a new chain fitted during all this?
If you have it could be skipping occasionally on the worn cassette. If it is the original chain then check carefully for any stiff links.
I've changed the chain for a nearly new one off my summer bike..Thought about the cassette, fitted a different wheel with a different cassette.
Still exactly the same symptoms.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Considering what you have checked and changed already, provided that has all been done right, then it could only really be a chain meshing issue. Are you sure the freehub isnt slipping?

OP
OP
Stu Smith

Stu Smith

Veteran
Considering what you have checked and changed already, provided that has all been done right, then it could only really be a chain meshing issue. Are you sure the freehub isnt slipping?
When its slipping if I look down I can see the chain trying to climb up onto the next larger gear, if I then change back a gear and try again it will work.
So not the freehub plus two different wheels tried.

Unless it has a nearly new cassette identically worn to the nearly new there is a good chance as @I like Skol suggests its a meshing issue.

Sounds like muck in the mech pivot points.
That it off and give it a good clean and oil/grease all the joints.

Would this make it skip gears?
I have worded the title wrong it is more skipping gears than slipping gears.
Slipping is more likely but yes it could cause skipping gears, if it can't go into one gear because its not meshing right with it it can skipover it. You seem to have ruled out the other possibilities (cables, mech etc). If its not that perhaps the shifters could be the problem. I hope you get it sorted :okay:

OP
OP
Stu Smith

Stu Smith

Veteran
Thank you
Slipping is more likely but yes it could cause skipping gears, if it can't go into one gear because its not meshing right with it it can skipover it. You seem to have ruled out the other possibilities (cables, mech etc). If its not that perhaps the shifters could be the problem. I hope you get it sorted :okay:
Thank you 👍

Top Bottom