HELP NEEDED - handle bar grip question - Claud Butler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ClaireW

Hey everyone! New girl here 🙂

Today I purchased a second hand Claude Butler Windsor Ladies bike and I’m due to go and pick her up tomorrow morning.

The only slight imperfection is that the handle bar grips are ever so slightly split and I wanted to ask some advice on whether I can just get cheap generic ones and if so what type. And if notcan anyone point me ihe right direction for Claude Butler branded accessories. I did google but with little joy!!

Thanks!

See my new little beauty below 🙂

3D64D129-2900-4788-8BEE-E70C4C33E1E1.png

Gunk

Guru
That’s a lovely bike @ClaireW my wife rides a similar bike, she loves the upright Dutch style riding position, ideal for bombing in and out of town.

I would think most grips will fit, it’s just down to personal preference. Some like an ergo style, others prefer a traditional simple grip in rubber or foam.

A trip to a friendly local bike shop would be my suggestion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ClaireW

ClaireW

Thank you very much!! Feel like this was probably really obvious but thanks for your encouragement!! Xx

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's easy to replace the grips, you don't need to go to a shop. Treat that nice bike to some decent grips. Remove the old ones by forcing something very thin like a length of stiff wire or a thin screwdriver underneath then dribbling WD40 or diluted dishwash liquid or just water down beside it and massaging it around the bar so as to spread the lubricant under the grip, which will pull off easily. Clean the bar thoroughly. Refit new grips with a bit of hair spray or Bostik or photo spray mount.

If that's the bike in the pic, the saddle looks to be canted too far back. Loosen one of the bolts that clamp it to the seatpost and re-set it flat then ride for a few miles to check. Be sure also to set the seatpost at the correct height! That doesn't mean you should be able to put your feet flat on the ground; the most important bit is that at the bottom of the pedal stroke your heel should just be brushing the pedal with your leg hanging loose, not stretched. A saddle too high or too low will make pedalling hard work and at the wrong angle will hurt you and put you off the bike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom