help needed to pick singlespeed bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackthelad

Hi guys was wondering if any one could enlighten me to the choice of the following bikes

genesis flyer
specialized langster steel
cboardman single speed

I am looking to buy from the selection above,and as i have not tried yet was wondering if anyone could help me to make up my mind

any help appreciated

jackthelad

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Don't know about the boardman but the other 2 get good reviews. Best to go and try all 3 and see which one takes your fancy

Aye it's a tough call ... take them all for a spin and see which feels right. If they all do then I, and this is my personal opinion, would try to separate them by price and or looks.

OP
OP
J

jackthelad

thanks for the info guys,the 3 bikes look so good it is like splitting hairs between them on looks alone,thought some info from the technical side, build quality etc might help with the decision

Genesis is steel, the Langster aluminium - as is the Boardman - I think. I'm not sure about the pros and cons of s/s but I have just bought an '09 Ridgeback Solo - the pro being that is is about the same frame as a Flyer but with mudguards and rackmount points! (This could be an age thing...:smile:) and you can have any colour you like as long as it's black. The con - I'm used to decent brakes and the blocks fitted are cr*p. :rofl: (and the levers are the wrong way around).

The new 'Flyer' is a quick bike apparently - and a nice shade of bleu.
Lee's Langster looks like a stealth bike (he took the transfers off) and he rides it well so it looks fast! :rofl:
The Boardman will be good value? - don't know tha price, but it's for sure that you have been dragged into the whirlpool of bike buying! Good luck and whatever you have - enjoy riding it until you get the urge to buy another. It will happen. :biggrin:

djb1971

Legendary Member
I've got a Langster and a Flyer. They both ride very differently.

The Flyer is a smoother, comfy ride and I prefer it over longer distances, it's the bike I choose for runs out. The Langster is a bit more nippy and agile and would be my first choice for squirting through traffic in town. Both have good build quality for the money you're paying but the wheels on the Flyer a slightly better.

There's little difference weight/parts wise but they are different to ride so I'd suggest trying them. The choice is then down to you whether you'd like a traditional style or compact style looking bike. Lots of people have slagged the Langster off for the sloping top tube but they probably have never ridden one!

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Not ridden the others, but have a Kona Paddywaggon. Lovely steel bike. Componenets are a bit on the cheap side and haven't lasted too well through the winter. However nearly 4000 miles in the only thing I have changed so far are tyres and inner tubes (oh and I put a brooks under me bum).
Trying to decide what to get next...

Zoiders

None of the above, I would if I had the dosh get a tricross single or the new Genesis single speed cross bike.

Canti brakes, clearance for guards, still a fairly racy riding position.

skupp

Well I was a fan of the Langster until the frame went and dun did go broke on me today.

Looking at something like a Condor Pista perhaps... Will watch this thread with interest :thumbsup:

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
how about a kinesis decade convert..... at 599 of our lovely English Pounds

http://kinesisdecade.co.uk/product.php?id=7
RedBuildKit.jpg

Top Bottom