Help needed with Bianchi gearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevevw

Guru
I have just bought a Bianchi Pista. Which should arrive in the next few days. I know the gearing is going to be toooooo high for me at 48/16. But I have no idea what gearing I am going to need and what parts I will need to change. I know the front ring is a Truitiv 48t but no idea on chain size or what rear gear I will need. Any advise would be great.

Cheers Steve

I would just wait until it comes and then test ride it to find out what is needing to be done.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Steve stick with it and give it a go, if you don't get on with you could always stick an 18 on the back. I am running 48 x 16 and with Dudi today we went out and did a 100 mile ride.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Steve stick with it and give it a go, if you don't get on with you could always stick an 18 on the back. I am running 48 x 16 and with Dudi today we went out and did a 100 mile ride.

100 miles on a fixie? I'm getting seriously worried about you FFFF! A few short weeks ago you were a regular cyclist, now you've metamorphasised into some sort of Fixie nutter. Is there a link, addict, fix? I'm seeing a pattern here

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
spandex said:
And what is wrong with 100miles on a Fixie? to me it sounds like grate fun

probably the fact that I find rides tough enough on gears and am extremely jealous of those doing so much better than I am. FFFF knows the score, I'm going to end up with a fixed sometime just because I can't be outdone by him that badly:biggrin:

I reckon I could ride fixed now, maybe a 26x34:biggrin:

BTW my single speed is 46/16 and is just right for the Yorkshire hills.

MajorMantra

48/18 is a good all-round gear. It's big enough that you can go fast (just under 36mph or just over 170rpm is the best I've managed so far) and small enough that you can get up many (though perhaps not all) hills.

Matthew

bonj2

MacBludgeon said:
probably the fact that I find rides tough enough on gears and am extremely jealous of those doing so much better than I am. FFFF knows the score, I'm going to end up with a fixed sometime just because I can't be outdone by him that badly:biggrin:

I reckon I could ride fixed now, maybe a 26x34:biggrin:

try setting off on 22x34 ;), not easy

bonj2

spandex said:
But if would be fun trying :wacko::tongue:

spinning up a seemingly 1 in 1 on the mtb and forget to change up before stopping at the top - left foot already at bottom of pedal stroke before right foot has had chance to leave the ground...not too dissimilar to the first time riding a recumbent in a weird way. it's best to just get off and hand-crank it onto the big ring

dudi

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:

+1, you'll probably be fine with the gearing you have. Also as FFFF says, you can easilly change sprocket if you think the gear is too big.

P.S. it was quite funny with 2x fixie riders in the same gearing, matched pedal strokes and all...

Top Bottom