Help needed with slack chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
IMG_20170530_165129781.jpg IMG_20170530_165205346.jpg IMG_20170530_165345471.jpg IMG_20170530_165458993.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/Xm-hv5CpX1c

Got some issues with a new bike and hoping somebody can help. the video shows the problem. Basically when the chain is on the three highest gears the derailleur doesn't seem to take up the slack?

Would be very grateful for any input.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The derailleur does seem to be taking up the slack but the cassette is driving the top of the chain forwards when freewheeling and making it go slack.

I had something like that happen on one of my bikes once. I think I had overtightened the quick release and it was causing the freehub to bind. I loosened the QR and the problem went away.

Obviously, I don't mean actually making the QR loose! I mean adjusting it properly so it was tight enough but not OVER-tight.

OP
OP
burntoutbanger

burntoutbanger

Veteran
Thanks @ColinJ , I did try that on a test ride yesterday and it didn't seem to make any difference. Can't ride it again until tomorrow but will try a little looser then.

All other input still welcome.

It is a brand new (admittedly cheap) bike. Could it just be screwed on to tight?

The current plan is ask on here for probable causes/advice then drop it into the LBS on Friday if no easy quick fix is available.
There isn't much you can do if you don't have the tools or skills. Also, it has nothing to do with being too tight or too loose. A freehub's bearings should not compress with axle compression such as with a QR, unless something is wrong. Usually there's a shim washer that when you leave it off, the freehub's bearings can bind. But that's not the case here since you have not opened it.

You can ride it but be conscious of freewheeling - just keep on feathering the pedals and all will be OK.

OP
OP
burntoutbanger

burntoutbanger

Veteran
Thanks all who've offered advice so far, unfortunately it was mail order from Decathlon and their nearest store to me is Southampton (I'm in Exeter). I will ping them an e~mail and see if they would rather arrange a repair local to me or come and collect a faulty bike...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Also, it has nothing to do with being too tight or too loose. A freehub's bearings should not compress with axle compression such as with a QR, unless something is wrong.
You've just reminded me ... The wheel in question is now on my singlespeed bike and I noticed recently that it has started driving the chain round when I wheel the bike out of the house. The problem initially only manifested itself when the QR was b*st*rd tight (a response to pulling the wheel out of the dropouts on a 20% climb) but it now does it even with a slack QR. Yes, something IS wrong - I must take a look at it tomorrow.

lpretro1

Thanks all who've offered advice so far, unfortunately it was mail order from Decathlon and their nearest store to me is Southampton (I'm in Exeter). I will ping them an e~mail and see if they would rather arrange a repair local to me or come and collect a faulty bike...
That's one of the major pitfalls of internet buying. The LBS would have carried out a pre-delivery inspection and sorted for you if you had supported them by buying there :sad:

OP
OP
burntoutbanger

burntoutbanger

Veteran
I support the local bike shops lots thank you. The one I trust the most doesn't even sell bikes and survives on sales of consumables and service/repair work. The company it was bought from do have stores just unfortunately none are close to me.

Don't let that get in the way of your opinion though!

Last edited:
OP
OP
burntoutbanger

burntoutbanger

Veteran
Could the pie-plate be catching on the back of the cassette somewhere?

Just enough to drag the cassette a bit further round when you free wheel?

I take it by pie plate you mean the big plastic spoke guard behind the cassette? Not sure, possible I suppose.

Had an e-mail back from Decathlon and it looks like it'll be going back.

Top Bottom