Help new bike no confidence!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montroseloon

A doctor once told me a good thing to remember "the folk at the gym, out jogging or out on a bike are all trying to do the same as you. They are trying to keep fit or lose weight which is your goal too so just ignore them and get on with it" It works well for me as a chunky lad, love cycling and attempt to go jogging too

Wow just done a little ride wow the seat hurts!!! Do they do sofas for bikes lol

Well done !

This is quite normal and will take a short while for your sit bones to get used to it. I've had it happen after a lay off and after about two maybe three weeks its gone. Unfortunately it is one of those things you have to go through and come out the other side. If it is also a friction hurt Chamois cream may help.

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Wow just done a little ride wow the seat hurts!!! Do they do sofas for bikes lol
Wear good quality padded shorts - you can wear them under baggy shorts if you prefer.
Spend some of the time pedalling out of the saddle - it helps.
Also make sure your bike is set up right for you. If your saddle is too low then you'll be putting more weight on your backside than necessary, for example.
If you need help with this, maybe take a trip to your LBS.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Well done on your first ride. Just keep right on doing that. +1 on the padded shorts though. My husband hated his shorts so would wear them under baggy regular walking about in shorts so that nobody could see (He was in the 17+ stone zone at the time, in 2009). It takes a week or 2 but your bum will get used to it.
Personally, I hate gel saddles and find them deeply uncomfortable. Only yesterday someone commented on my saddle and said that it looked hard, skinny and bloody uncomfortable, but it's not. It fits which makes a massive difference.

When we started riding again, we used to go out using the G.O.A.D.I.C.O.N.S. Method of riding (Going Out After Dark In Case Our Neighbours See). It's a tried and trusted method, that's worked for years and is a multi-discipline training method (bike riding, jogging, power walking etc):okay:

Keep up the good work and you will soon be as addicted as the rest of us :smile:

ive recently purchased a new mountain bike but can not find the confidence to ride it!! I'm 6 ft 1 and 24 stone and feel I'm to fat to ride help!!!!

First of all, congratulations! :smile: Mountain bikes are awesome. I'm pretty sure you will love it too. Now moving onto the issue at hand - you really shouldn't feel that you are too fat to ride. You might feel a bit weird at first, might seem to have a bit difficulty as well but it's not impossible. You took action and bought the bike. That is an achievement. Now all you have to do is push yourself a little bit more, let the confidence and adrenaline take over the fear and ride. :smile:

Your last post here says that the seat hurts when you ride. It is more than likely that this will go away once you get a little bit used to it. There is nothing to be worried about. To make it more comfortable, I would suggest you to wear padded shorts as the above two posters suggested.

ACS

Legendary Member
Lots of excellent advice up thread.

If you need a focus, a reason apart from the obvious; being fit is great for your sex life :hyper:

Last edited:

adamangler

Veteran
You will get a sore backside fir quite a while yet. That's normal as your body isn't used to it.

You must get some high quality padded shorts or bibs. Don't scrimp in this area as I believe it's one of the most important things in cycling. Bring comfy on the bike is paramount as you can have the best bike in the world but if it causes you pain it's pointless.

With regards saddles I've tried loads trying to solve the problem of a sore ass. When I started riding regular around new year I suffered with chaffing and sores for the first few months and kept changing saddle looking for the answer. Recently I've ridden 3 different saddles they are all shapes and none of them cause me any pain. I believe my backside has simply got used to riding and my improved comfort has more to do with my body adapting than saddle choice.

To summarise high quality pads with some form of lubricant. I use sudacream...then experiment with saddles

dianelc

get on your bike. Just cause your big doesn't mean you're not allowed to have fun. I've just bought my first bike and can't believe how addictive it is. The cycling community are so friendly and encouraging too. We all have to start somewhere. Enjoy.

Maisie65

I know how you're feeling Steve, because I was in your shoes. See my post here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/new-bike-where-to-start.147527/ where I was just riding around the garden. I am now doing between 5 and 8 miles at a go and loving every minute, so much so that I've just ordered a new bike.

And being a large lady on a bike didn't hold me back. In fact one of the best things that happened to me on more than one occasion, was to have people encourage me on. There is a git of hill near my house and it is a bitch of a climb. I would stop 2 or 3 times to get to the top, never pushing the bike but just waitng to get my breath back. I've had people walk past me up that hill, and I've had some 'keep going love' comments too. I know climb that hill without stopping, I won't say with ease, because it's not easy. But it feels bloody good when you cycle past somone else on that hill who is struggling and you can pass on the encouragement and tell them to keep going.

We are all beginners at some point. And we are all striving for the same thing. Go out there and enjoy it.

albion

Guru
Just get yourself onto the off road route 6 mate, and over time learn the route.
Your eventual aim will be to get to Clumber park, a one time regular destination of mine.

Take it easy, exercise is only really tough when you try too hard.

@steve peat as @Serynia says there will be comments its inevitable in this day and age, I get them and I ain't saying the comments I get, and as has been mentioned it is hard to start but the more you do the fitter you become then it either gets easier or harder depends where go from there a ride to work becomes a walk in the park, I weigh 76Kg or so, but there are many larger people faster than me, not that its a competition, just saying size is not always an indication of fitness.
If weight is an issue it becomes easier to lose weight once fit as you work at a lower HR which burns more fat calories than a higher HR but it takes time to get there, so don't ever give up, you have made the first steps to what is a wonderful form of transport.

Top Bottom