Help new bike no confidence!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wetdog

That's how I feel every time I get on the bike, a cannondale road bike. I'm 5 11 and 20 stone, and feel like a big fat idiot that's trying to ride a bike. And do you know what, nobody gives a toss. No one looks at me, get no problem with folk shouting abuse, just a ride.
Go out on your bike, and in time you'll wonder where it all went, I've still to get to that stage but it's coming. My legs are reshaping and getting harder,I feel a little lighter.
So whatever and where ever you are don't let it bother you, your the ONLY person that matters.
Enjoy your riding.

Kominic

Regular
Cycling is one of the best ways to lose weight so find a quiet loop around your home and just ride.

Stick to cycle paths and parks. You will be fine. You'll do yourself a world of good conquering your fear.

D

Deleted member 26715

Do you have a car with a bike rack, if you are worried about friends (pah!) neighbours seeing you, put the bike on the car & go to Clumber Park, once around the lake 3 miles (I think), with lots of places to stop. Or there is Sherwood Pines, there are 3 routes from 1 mile to 9 miles (I think), there's also Budby the old tank driving range, I think you can still go on there. There's a place near Clipstone they call the Desert, never been but told it's a big open space.

Bolsover & District Cycle Club have a MTB section, if their road section is anything to go by it'll be brilliant.

As to what you look like F**'em at least you've got to gonad's to do something about it.

Up to about the age of 35 I was chain smoking and beering it up like I was a cheap imitation of Gazza or Shane McGowan. I had an epiphany around 35/36 years old and thought I had better do something about this. I always hovered around the 12 ish stone mark and over the next couple of years I managed to stop smoking but I swapped fags for food and my weight went up to just under 17 stone. Another epiphany moment came along and I though I'm really going to have to do something about my weight. I tried road cycling. I bought a cheap road bike for £150 and went for a few little rides. I heard my local CTC were doing a beginners ride and I opted for the massive 10 mile led ride. I was pleased as punch when I completed that.

After that there was no looking back. The cheap bike lasted about 9 months and since then I have joined a racing club and have participated in club runs of varying distances, racing (not really my thing) and time trials (enjoyed these) so I never really looked back. My weight also dropped to just under 12 stone

I thought I looked a bit of an idiot on my road bike when I first started but I was welcomed with open arms with no sniggers or anything and with hindsight I'm sure no one actually batted an eye lid it was all in my head.

Get out there and just do it

Nibor

Bewildered
I am 21 stone and 6 foot all the above is great advice if people do abuse you remember it is their problem not yours, nobody can make you feel bad about yourself unless you let them. Look for some ride socials on Sky Ride they are invariably really nice people and usually a good few in the same situation as you.

Failing all that JFDI that has got me out and about many times when I thought I didn't feel like it.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
As others have said, think why you bought the bike in the first place and let that be your motivation to get out on it.Ultimately it's your health, not theirs.
If anyone makes any comments, personally I'd tell them the to eff off. Subject of course to legal restraints, you have as much right to do what you want when you want. If you don't have the confidence to tell others to eff off, or if you feel uncomfortable about how you think you look on the bike, change (slightly) the time you ride, so you get more comfortable with others around and build it up from there.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Get on it and ride it, the minute you do it will feel brilliant. I rember clearly 6 years ago on hired bike forced on me in France at 18 stone and thinking as I wobbled off "why the hell did I ever stop riding my bike at 17!!"

You couldn't get me off it all holiday, bought one when I got home and as well as me getting lighter so has my bank account.

Do it honestly just round the block lad!!

adamangler

Veteran
I think its easy to sugarcoat the issue

The fact is some people will laugh at a fat guy in lycra on a bike, more so on a road bike i would imagine.

I too would think "look at porky" over there and have a giggle to myself or a mate.

BUT who cares? you shouldnt give 2 farks what anyone thinks, if youre looking to lose weight then do that if youre not looking to lose weight then do that as well, just enjoy riding your bike

Big Andy

Über Member
I got mt Hybrid 18 months ago. 6'6" tall and Weighed just under 26 stone. Talk about feeling self conscious when riding!!
Now weigh just under 19st and as a treat (or mid life crisis if you prefer) I bought myself a carbon road bike last weekend and have embraced lycra and even joined a club.
Just go for it and dont worry what anyone thinks!

Top Bottom