Help please in and around Silver Jubilee Bridge and Scorton!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CafGriff

:bicycle:Hi Guys!! ^_^
I have sort of confirmed my days and times for my trek on March 8th setting off from Lands End on through to JoG's.
My master plan is - so far : March 8th, from Ls E to Newquay ( accompanied Ha!! ) :hello: 50 miles or so, starting off gently !!
Sunday 9th March, Newquay to Okkie ( accompanied Hee! ) :bicycle:= 63 miles
Mon 10th March, Okkie to Bridgwater = 70 miles ( still accompanied - lovely)
Tues 11th March, Bridgwater to Cheddar = 18 miles, then cycling buddy leaves me :wacko: and I journey on to Monmouth alone.
Wed 12th March, I go from Monmouth to Clun. = 60 miles. Dinner somewhere around Pembridge and on to maybe The Mill for accomodation in Clun.
Thurs 13th March , I go from Clun to Chester = covering 68 miles or so, possible heading for Chester Backpackers or The Bunkroom ( cheap but hopefully cheerful and clean ? ) - Dinner somewhere around Ellesmerer.
Fri 14th March, I shall be going from Chester to Scorton = 72 miles .... NOW!! I'm getting confused in and around Silver Jubilee Bridge, on through to Widnes, Cronton, Liverpool, Wigan, Parbold, Midge Hall ( great names !! :eek: ) on through to Preston and eventually Scorton.
I shall be forever grateful and able to purchase a few beers - depending on numbers !! :cheers: ... or dinners, again depending on who turns up!! and how many :whistle: If fellow bikers could be my guides.
I shall watch THIS SPACE. !! :hyper:
SHINE ON MOONBEAMS !!!!

theloafer

Legendary Member
hi cathy ^_^... http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/39519549/
use the zoom......... on to the bridge and you can see road numbers +names also top right of map you can change the info the map shows you

Sharky

Guru
Hi,
Have gone over the Runcorn bridge many times. It was our gateway to North Wales. It's a long time since I have cycled on Merseyside, but from the bridge, aim for Rainhill, then Whiston, turning right at the Hospital and cut through the side roads towards Eccleston Lane Ends where I used to live, then onto Eccleston and Windle, Here cross the East Lancs road and take the Rainford bypass, There is a very good cycle path along side it, so quite safe. At the end of the bypass, aim for Burscough or go via Ormskirk. At Ormskirk, there is a famous church with both a tower and a spire. Once past Burscough, just keeping going towards Preston.

My old club was the Prescot Eagle. If you check out their website and send them an email, I am sure they will give you an update on the best route to take.

Parbold is nice, but I think there are a few hills around there.

Good Luck and keep us all updated.

Keith

Last edited:

MikeG

Guru
Watch out for Preston. It will try to eat you. It was the most damned difficult and dangerous place we came across on our entire trip. It was if the place was conspiring to kill us. Cycle paths which dump you where two dual carriageways merge, roads which seems to lead only "in", but never "out", sign posts which are there only to confuse, utter maniac locals who loath cyclists. I nuked it after we got through so that no-one else would have to suffer like us................. but I see it is still on the map, so something must have gone wrong.

-

On the broader picture, you are going some weird places! Are side trips to Liverpool and Chester just because you like traffic, or is it that you have friends there or something? I've already saved your life getting out of Cornwall, so if you want a bit of extra help elsewhere just let me know. You'll be forever in my debt....... :smile: Seriously, some of this looks like you are just trying to make life hard for yourself, and I'll help if you want me to.

Mike

bootsy

Regular
I have sort of confirmed my days and times for my trek on March 8th setting off from Lands End on through to JoG's.
My master plan is - so far : March 8th, from Ls E to Newquay ( accompanied Ha!! ) :hello: 50 miles or so, starting off gently !!
Tues 11th March, Bridgwater to Cheddar = 18 miles, then cycling buddy leaves me :wacko: and I journey on to Monmouth alone.
Wed 12th March, I go from Monmouth to Clun. = 60 miles. Dinner somewhere around Pembridge and on to maybe The Mill for accomodation in Clun.
Thurs 13th March , I go from Clun to Chester = covering 68 miles or so, possible heading for Chester Backpackers or The Bunkroom ( cheap but hopefully cheerful and clean ? ) - Dinner somewhere around Ellesmerer.
Fri 14th March, I shall be going from Chester to Scorton = 72 miles .... NOW!! I'm getting confused in and around Silver Jubilee Bridge, on through to Widnes, Cronton, Liverpool, Wigan, Parbold, Midge Hall ( great names !! :eek: ) on through to Preston and eventually Scorton.
I shall be forever grateful and able to purchase a few beers - depending on numbers !! :cheers: ... or dinners, again depending on who turns up!! and how many :whistle: If fellow bikers could be my guides.
SHINE ON MOONBEAMS !!!!
SHINE ON MOONBEAMS !!!!
Hi
How did you get on with the ride,hope you rearranged your route to avoid all those towns much better A49 - bypass Warrington on back roads easy to get through Preston.
I live in the Warrington area would not think of going via Chester and Liverpool.

Top Bottom