Help Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shades.5

Hi looking to purchase a new touring bike as the last one i got was about 20 years ago ( and still going ) havnt done much cycling until recentley some i am lacking in knowledge of what is good and what is not so to speak, wen t into local bike shop weekend and the lad in there seem very helpful and suggested a claude butler price approx £275 , is claude butler a decent bike and does the cost sound ok for all you lads in the know , thanks for the help

CLAUDE BUTLER is the brand, and different models will have different characteristics, i personally know nothing about them, other than theyre a long standing company, who (i think) have made a reasonably good name for themselves, but im pretty sure people that do know their bikes will be wanting to know which model(s) you're looking at.

Yeah,

What Dan said - you need to tell us what sort of riding you'll be doing (commuting, leisure), and what type of surface you'll be on (on road, or off), also, is it hilly, or flat?

I have a Claude Butler Hybrid (the model is a Levante), and I find it a great bike.

Let us have a few more details and we'll help you out.

Ta, AM.

edit: Oops, just noticed you've mentioned a Tourer! A few more details would be good though.

gwhite

Über Member
Better value would be the Dawes Horizan or the Edinburgh bike co-op's "Countryman" which is the same bike I believe. These are seen as giving great value for money and, having worked on a few of these I'd have to agree.
Be aware that the top-tube on these bikes tend to be a bit long and you'd do well to check on this as you may need a shorter stem.

Danny

Legendary Member
Welcome shades.5

Claud Butler were a well established British cycle company which went out of business a decade or so ago. There name was bought up by someone else who now use it to brand low cost far Eastern imports. The ones I've seen in York look good value - so much so I wonder how they have got the price down so low.

I'd certainly check what sort of guarantee and after sales service you would get with a Claud Butler before buying.

I'd also check out some other makes like the Dawes and Revolution, and perhaps a Ridgeback if it is sold locally.

Finally as GrahamG suggests you should consider using your old bike, particularly if it has a good frame. A full service and perhaps an upgrade of some of the parts would still be a lot cheaper than a new bike.

RedBike

I'm not sure what bike you've been looking at but it's unlikely to be a new touring bike at £275. Claud Bulters touring bikes, the Regent and the Dalesman, are about £450 / £900.

There are loads of brands/ makes to choice from but I would start off by looking at Dawes and Thorns range of bikes.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Dannyg said:
Finally as GrahamG suggests you should consider using your old bike, particularly if it has a good frame. A full service and perhaps an upgrade of some of the parts would still be a lot cheaper than a new bike.

here here. 20 years isn't old for a bike really. A bit of an upgrade and service, should be good for another 20...

Top Bottom