Help prevent bike theft or recover your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Cycle leash
A brand new bicycle security product, Cycle Leash, has been launched in Australia and is now available on the App Store, and soon to be released on Google PlayTM, with the purpose of putting an end to bicycle theft. Working with the cycling community, police crime prevention units, cycling stores and coffee shops, Cycle Leash Pty Ltd, the maker of the app, hopes to lessen if not completely eliminate the growing number of bicycle thefts happening around the country.

For the past 5 years, bicycle theft has been continuously increasing throughout Victoria, with more and more opportunistic thieves now active in the inner-city hipster hotspots disappearing with hundreds of bicycles annually, costing hundreds of thousands of dollars.

In fact, according to the Victoria Police, over 5000 bikes have been stolen during the previous financial year, which is equivalent to around 100 bikes per week. Reports have also revealed that the alarming rate of stolen bicycles has already outnumbered that of stolen cars, and the main hotspots include central Melbourne, the suburbs of Parkville, Fitzroy and Carlton and Victorian towns of Sale, Horsham and Wangaratta.

As there is really no way to prevent bicycle theft, Cycle Leash Pty Ltd came up with a revolutionary product that with community involvement can assist in the reduction of bicycle crime.

• Cycle Leash Beacon Subscription
  • Advanced bicycle security
  • $59 Annual special
Protect your bike for about a coffee a month!

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Hope the thieves play the game fairly, and don't remove the beacon thing and throw it away.
It doesn't actually stop your bike being stolen, and would take seconds to find it on the bike, and unless welded on would be removed and disposed of, and its nothing new trackers have been out for years.

Seems to me a 5 pint solution to a 2 pint problem.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Hope the thieves play the game fairly, and don't remove the beacon thing and throw it away.
It doesn't actually stop your bike being stolen, and would take seconds to find it on the bike, and unless welded on would be removed and disposed of, and its nothing new trackers have been out for years.

You beat me to it.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member

Most have only allowed a single phone/PC to track though.

I've used one(tracker) myself. Main difference being you can set the zone.

Locks have been around years, and even their proper use will not guarantee your bike will not be stolen.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Having read the blurb, it seems to be saying that it will track a stolen bike if it comes within 10m of another Cycle Leash user.
So is the system relying on a large number of users to be effective, or is it a proper stand alone GPS tracking system?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I like the idea of that, though I think the blue tooth doodad need to be in the frame somehow, perhaps in the seat post.

Top Bottom