Help removing a D Lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fatblokish

Guru
Son has snapped the very tip of his key in a new Kryptonite Evolution S4 U-Lock.

The bike is locked to a public Sheffield stand, no power nearby. A locksmith drilled the keyhole and failed to open the lock.

Bike is locked through the backwheel, not sure how much free space is available. Could you please PM me with any tips on how to crack the lock.

Thanks, on behalf of son.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ah, battery angle grinder and time, and lots of excuses and let the police know what you are doing.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Get in touch with the manufacturers. The key shouldn't snap! Maybe they'll have an engineer who would like the challenge of opening it..

OP
OP
fatblokish

fatblokish

Guru
Ta folks,
No idea if the stand is buried-in or bolted on. Will ask.

Cost of air-fare from New York is probably prohibitive. Sellers (Wiggle) may refund cost of lock but will be unlikely to accept any responsibility for its removal...

Keep 'em coming (via PM if sensitive info is revealed)

Ta

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
This probably won't work in your case, but it might be worth a try. The same happened to me, albeit to a cheap Asda 10 quid d lock. A blacksmith mate of mine sawed through with a hacksaw. A Kryptonite D lock is probably 10 times as strong but might be worth a try and see how far he can get.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As what Fossy said. Angle grinder will do it.

There was quite a big DLock attached to our company premises when we moved in. We left a note asking the person to remove or we will remove. Left it a week and no response so I took an angle grinder to it. 30 seconds later it was off.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Somewhere like HSS will hire you a charged battery angle grinder for under £15/day (you'll probably have to pay for the cutting disk). That's what a thief would use and you'll be surprised how quickly it cuts through.
Also take something to put between the grinder and the bike in case of slippage / sparks, etc.
And you'll need some eye protectors (Poundland do them)

davidphilips

Veteran
If the broken bit of the key is in the lock you may be lucky and be able to use the broken key in the lock to open the lock just try pushing the broken key in, try it failing that either a long time with a hack saw or a few minutes with a angle grinder.

If you dont have access to a battery angle grinder a mains grinder can be used if you know anyone with a power converter ie dc 12 to 220 volt, some one with a caravan or that goes camping may have one?

gaijintendo

Veteran
Another thing you might like to try, if you can replace it - bottle car jack. I suspect though, given the way you locked it, you will either not be able to get it in, or it will cock up your rear wheel... you could take a few spokes out, but major bum-pain.

I didn't get the username, but someone commented after this with more helpful details (but then removed it): Your goal is to push the arch up, and pop it out.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
If you decide to cut the lock, make certain you cut the right arm. You'll only have the one cut to do.

One thing, what's holding the bike in place at present. Other than a broken lock, which you want to open. Maybe someone else has the same idea!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Ah, battery angle grinder and time, and lots of excuses and let the police know what you are doing.
A four inch battery-powered angle grinder will do it. Use a 1mm thick metal cutting blade. The thinner it is, the faster the cut. I went through a couple of gold rated padlocks in thirty seconds with these.......
http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-m...10/3619g#product_additional_details_container

BTW......please do use the guard on the grinder if you value an un-ruptured carotid artery.:okay:

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
I think the S4 is a double lock shackle, if so be prepared to make 2 cuts. If the stand is bolted in it would be quicker to unbolt than to cut with a hacksaw.

An angle grinder is your best bet really. How long has the bike been there?

Top Bottom