Help request with Windows Media Player (WMP) and PC music files/WMA files

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PedalCat

I like sandwiches
Hello knowledgeable ones.
WMP query.PNG

This is a pic of the icons of some music files in my PC memory/files. The top one with the 'play' icon is a WMP playlist file (I ripped a CD in WMP, it landed as a playlist and I copied it into this location), the other 2 (with musical note icons) are Windows Media Audio files. Over the years I've ripped CDs, moved music around here and there etc, and WMP seems to have taken music files almost arbitrarily and compiled a library.
My problem is, I want the playlist to appear as an album in WMP and as a music file in my PC memory, but up to now I've not been able to make that happen. It stubbornly remains a playlist only.
I expect the solution will be simple and is staring me in the face, but i just seem to have a mental block on this. Please help!

the snail

Guru
I think playlists, albums and music files are all different things. I haven't used wmp for ages, but IIRC, you get a list of playlists (including useless ones wmp makes all by itself), and a view of music files which you can view by artist/album/tracks etc. Sometimes the metadata isn't all there when you rip a CD, so you may need to update it from the internet, or edit it manually - e.g. if the tracks don't have the album or album artist field set correctly, then the tracks won't be recognised as an album in wmp.

Is that an mp3 icon (rather than wma) ?
If so, either rip again as wma or use a converter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom