Help, shifter dilema

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DooDah

Veteran
I am sick of my sora shifters with the thumb lever. I was thinking of buying 2013 sora shifters which I can get for 95 pounds at ribble or Evans on a price match thingy. Then someone told me Tiagra shifters are better, but more expensive. If I am going to spend 130 quid on these shifters then why not change to a 105 10 speed setup like this http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sh...o-levers/shimano-105-5700-gear-kit-black.html

I know I would need a new cassette and chain as well so I am looking at about 240quid? But if I do this, is there anything else I would need. My bike is

OP
OP
DooDah

DooDah

Veteran
I am sick of my sora shifters with the thumb lever. I was thinking of buying 2013 sora shifters which I can get for 95 pounds at ribble or Evans on a price match thingy. Then someone told me Tiagra shifters are better, but more expensive. If I am going to spend 130 quid on these shifters then why not change to a 105 10 speed setup like this http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sh...o-levers/shimano-105-5700-gear-kit-black.html

I know I would need a new cassette and chain as well so I am looking at about 240quid? But if I do this, is there anything else I would need. My bike is

OOPS.....My bike is a Boardman with Sora derailleurs, FSA compact crankset. Or should I just change to the Sora 2013 shifters and save the rest for a new bike in the future?

Any advice, help, suggestions much appreciated.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You will also need to add a 10 speed chain + cassette which is going to stick what another £50 on top too m imho an extra gear is not really going to benefit you unless you race and need a close ratio block to stay in your optimum cadence for power delivery.
I run both 8 and 10 speed set ups and although the extra gears are nice its not important .Remember 9 speed sora with the paddle is essentially last years tiagra before it went 10 speed.

OP
OP
DooDah

DooDah

Veteran
Oh right, I see thanks, I already new about the cassette and chain, but did not realise about the SOra and Tiagra thing. I like the fact that you are convincing me to go for the cheaper option, as will my my other half (not that she knows anything about this at all;))

Top Bottom