Help! Step By Step Advice On Chain Cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Extremedalek

Extremedalek

I use the chain cleaning tool to start the cleaning process and loosen up the gunge! To finish the job, degreaser in a sponge and grip the chain with it while spinning the chain. Rinse off and dry before applying lube. Works brilliantly. You might want to use a short bristled brush to clean off some stubborn areas. Don't forget the drivetrain areas!!

Thanks, sounds easy enough. When you say dry before applying lube, is this just leave to air dry naturally, or somethng more involved?

Ajax Bay

Guru
I use the chain cleaning tool to start the cleaning process and loosen up the gunge! To finish the job, degreaser in a sponge and grip the chain with it while spinning the chain. Rinse off and dry before applying lube. Works brilliantly. You might want to use a short bristled brush to clean off some stubborn areas. Don't forget the drivetrain areas!!

:welcome: to Cycle Chat.
Trialot:
1) Use the chain cleaning tool to start the cleaning process and loosen up the gunge!
2) Degreaser in a sponge and grip the chain with it while spinning the chain.
3) Rinse off and dry before applying lube.
Assume you're suggesting rinsing off with water. Describe how you then 'dry' the chain, please? Safer to use the first application of oil to 'clear away' the degreaser, and wipe, and wipe.
At the conclusion of your protocol, spend about as much time again cleaning (to an extent) the 'chain cleaning tool'.
Bin the (next to useless) chain cleaning tool
As you may infer, I'm with @roadrash on this, 100%.
My chains last about 2200km. First 600km on manufacturer's waxy lubrication. About 4 Mickles will get me to 2200km and then remove dirty chain and replace with new. Might remove chain at its half life, shake rinse in paraffin thoroughly, wash rinse in water (minimising paraffin down sink), wipe dry and thoroughly dry on a radiator, refit and oil (and wipe) a couple of times (with hours in between to let the oil move by capillary action into the innards of the chain).
Ride.

Last edited:
Top Bottom