Help!!!! Stuck in Spain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

Muchos excitemento,

Ive just seen many pods of dolphins playing in the wake.

That Seadog, him can keep up quite a pace :becool:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
The bands I saw had pipes, squeezebox, many drums, and a lady playing a tambour bodhrun type thingy.
And lots of singing.

The locals seem to know their dance steps, and do it with enthusiasm.

Even the youngsters who you might think would be a little too 'cool' for it yet. :rolleyes:

Reactions: C R
Too late to offer any practical help,but glad you got yourself sorted! Nothing like a bit of excitement to get you over the line! 😀

For anyone else, Northern Spain is well used to dealing with foreigners & their travel needs due to the variety of Camino routes. The people are (in my experience) unfailingly helpful, but a helpful resource is any alberge (pilgrim hostel) who will have a variety of local contacts and influence.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I've learn not to believe the first answer when I enquire about transporting my bike. One person often says I can't and another says "no problem". Most recently in Lisbon bus station when the ticket seller was adamant we could not put the bike on the bus. We walked over to the enquiries desk and the lady said of course we can and rang the bus driver to warn him there were two bikes to be loaded. Back to the seller and said nothing but bought two tickets. Driver was quite happy and insisted on loading and unloading the bikes himself.

crossfire

While working as a bus driver, I was doing a rail replacement, when a guy came up with a bike. Rail guy asked if we could take it as nor technically a service bus, on which it was definitely not allowed. As the rail guy was travelling with the bus as a guard, we decided if he got on last and stood by it, and at every station he got off and on again, it would be ok. Railway were supposed to supply a van for luggage! Only travelled 5 stations anyway.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
While working as a bus driver, I was doing a rail replacement, when a guy came up with a bike. Rail guy asked if we could take it as nor technically a service bus, on which it was definitely not allowed. As the rail guy was travelling with the bus as a guard, we decided if he got on last and stood by it, and at every station he got off and on again, it would be ok. Railway were supposed to supply a van for luggage! Only travelled 5 stations anyway.

That sounds like a great compromise / bit of play acting, there..

'Let's pretend' the bus is a train, then technically it's allowed.

Like when they reclassified beaver as a fish, so you could get round the 'you can only eat fish on a Friday' rule.

Mankind likes to spend a lot of time and energy making up rules.

And then expends nearly as much, finding ways to subvert same said rules.

Guess it keeps us busy between meals at least :blush:

Home now, with my serendipitous neighbours who were on the same boat.

In the bath, with a beer, having first consumed loads of farm fresh veg..

There's no place like it 🍺

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Too late to offer any practical help,but glad you got yourself sorted! Nothing like a bit of excitement to get you over the line! 😀

For anyone else, Northern Spain is well used to dealing with foreigners & their travel needs due to the variety of Camino routes. The people are (in my experience) unfailingly helpful, but a helpful resource is any alberge (pilgrim hostel) who will have a variety of local contacts and influence.

Yes I'd agree almost unfailingly helpful.

And they must have to put up with a lot of flailing, wailing, tourists.

I hope everyone who visits is properly grateful :angel:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Yes I'd agree almost unfailingly helpful.

And they must have to put up with a lot of flailing, wailing, tourists.

I hope everyone who visits is properly grateful :angel:
Like the poor waitress in Zaragoza trying to put up with my FreSpanglish - "Je voudrais una cerveza y a coke". I left a trail of puzzled faces all over Spain.

C R

Guru
Like the poor waitress in Zaragoza trying to put up with my FreSpanglish - "Je voudrais una cerveza y a coke". I left a trail of puzzled faces all over Spain.
We have a French friend who speaks some Spanish. She once was telling us the story of how dangerous false friends are, by relating how she had asked for some burra for her toast in Madrid. Beurre is butter in French, but burra is a female donkey in Spanish, while butter is mantequilla.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
We have a French friend who speaks some Spanish. She once was telling us the story of how dangerous false friends are, by relating how she had asked for some burra for her toast in Madrid. Beurre is butter in French, but burra is a female donkey in Spanish, while butter is mantequilla.

Sounds familiar.

Bet she felt a proper @ss..

My French is considerably more proficient, than my Spanish.

So will often revert to French when struggling.. Like that helps.. :blink:

I've introduced a newish word into the Spanish lexicon tho

'Fantastico'

... Said no Spanish person practically ever.

I think they got the joke, that I know it's not really a proper word, but is an expression of my delight at the meal / service etc proffered.

So if you come across such an expletive when travelling there next, you'll know who started it :blush:

Top Bottom