Help to choose a £500 road bike, maybe Raleigh Airlite 400?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alebleicker

Veteran
Hi there, I'm trying to find the best road bike for £500 so now I'm thinking about the Raleigh Airlite 400 http://www.ashcycles.com/power/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1679 for £509.
But I've being researching on the web and forums about another models in the same range and found Boardman Comp, Giant Defy, Bianchi Nirone and Specialized Allez. I would like to know if you guys can give me some advice about models in the same range of £500 with a good setup (shimano tiagra perhaps?) and lightweight.

Thank you! :biggrin:

andyfromotley

all of thosew bikes you have mentioned are fine road bikes. i started with a spesh allez which has given me many years of fantastic service, but all of them have good reputations. Gete out and try to ride as many as you can, one of them will 'speak' to you no doubt. If you can hang on you will start to see 09 models disconted in the next couple of months. Dont forget if you're just starting most people need to spend about £100 on kit when they get a bike, especially if you want clipless pedals and shoes. good luck

andy

Garz

Squat Member
Get bigtwin's suggestion as it will be a nice break in for a road bike and give you tons of change for decent gear that will help even more!

OP
OP
A

alebleicker

Veteran
andyfromotley said:
all of thosew bikes you have mentioned are fine road bikes. i started with a spesh allez which has given me many years of fantastic service, but all of them have good reputations. Gete out and try to ride as many as you can, one of them will 'speak' to you no doubt. If you can hang on you will start to see 09 models disconted in the next couple of months. Dont forget if you're just starting most people need to spend about £100 on kit when they get a bike, especially if you want clipless pedals and shoes. good luck

andy

yeah you are right, I was thinking now about mudguards, cloths, helmet, lights, will cost me more £150 I think. Maybe I'll need to go to a cheaper model like de 200 instead the 400

OP
OP
A

alebleicker

Veteran
Downward said:
Cube Aerial 2009 Tiagra is going for £635 at the moment.

the problem is that is has triple chainset, something that I never liked in a road bike. Mainly I used to cycle fast, of course was several years ago and using a shimano sora set with dual chainse, but was exactly what I needed, gears for speed.

OP
OP
A

alebleicker

Veteran
Garz said:
Get bigtwin's suggestion as it will be a nice break in for a road bike and give you tons of change for decent gear that will help even more!

the bike seems cool for the price, but definitely, triple chainset is not for me. I'm still thinking about a lightweight bike, not too many gears, probably with mudguards of holes to fix it.

I started to think about the Raleigh Airlite 200 as well, is in the same price range of £300 with Shimano 2200 set.

Well I'm open to suggestions about another models guys, I really appreciate your time helping me :smile: cheers

OP
OP
A

alebleicker

Veteran
threebikesmcginty said:
You need the right browser, crazy!!!

firefox, first time ever that that I found a problem like that... well, back to internet explorer I could find the bikes, just missing pictures of some setups

I don't have knowledge about the Campagnolo setup, is equivalent to which model from shimano ?

Top Bottom