Help to give up smoking??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Hacienda71 said:
If I slip off the wagon and try a fag now when having a bear, two years after giving up it makes me feel physically sick, but alcohol is the danger as it reduces your willpower. I will always be a smoker I just choose to abstain.

Is it a tame bear, or have you merely become an adrenaline junkie?;)

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
17 weeks tomorrow and £850 saved (that's just me GF has not spent £400 she would have). I only think about it once or twice a day now.
Really glad pubs and clubs are smoke free as they were I smoked the most.
Our initial incentive was granddaughter. We didn't want her to see us smoking (just 2). Originally planned to give up for her first birthday but didn't manage it but have in time for her second.
Good luck giving up. It might be difficult but it's worth it for many reasons.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's great to hear people giving up the smoke. One thing you will notice is the smell of smokers even when they don't have a fag on the go. Along with smokers houses and cars. That stuff lingers big time. Think of it that the awful smell used to be on you.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I'm a teacher and can easily spot those kids that had a fag at break, on their way in or even between lessons.
Colleagues who pop down to the shops for lunch (like I used to) as well.

battered

Guru
Good luck. If it helps the physiological addiction is over in 24-48 hours, it's psychological after that. A mate stopped and put aside the £5 a day for a project, he bought nice things that interested him on the proceeds and said this helped. Also, I'd second that if you fall off the wagon, dust yourself off and get back on. It's a marathon not a sprint and you can still complete a marathon if you stop for a few minutes. The trick is to start again.

OP
OP
G

Guvnor

11 days in now and not craving or missing them at all:biggrin:

A lady friend at work sat next to me after just finishing her ciggie and i had to move as the smell was awful! now know how the mrs has felt for all these years:ohmy:

Stephenite

Membå
Well done, guvnor. And keep it up.

I've set Wednesday next week as my quit day. Using Champix, as will-power isnt available on presription!

NigC

I wish the wife would give up ;)

She's stopped at least 3 times in the past, but has only managed to last a few weeks before going back to them. Her excuse is always that she's gained weight. And each time I complain she says she never said she would quit forever!

Now our daughter is 7 and she knows what mummy is doing behind the closed kitchen door. So I'm really hoping she'll quit again very soon.....

NigC said:
I wish the wife would give up :smile:

She's stopped at least 3 times in the past, but has only managed to last a few weeks before going back to them. Her excuse is always that she's gained weight. And each time I complain she says she never said she would quit forever!

Now our daughter is 7 and she knows what mummy is doing behind the closed kitchen door. So I'm really hoping she'll quit again very soon.....

Its hard when someone you love cannot give up. My mum smoked until the day she died of lung cancer.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Well done Guvnor !!

I'm 18 months in and never felt better.

2 things that helped me:

A craving last for 3 minutes, ride it out and the nect one will take longer to come.

Smokers smoke to feel the same way that non-smokers do all of the time (courtesy of Alan Carr).

Visited a friend in hospital the other day and walking through the crowd of smokers at the door was disgusting.

Keep it up Guv and all others who are on the road to recovery good luck.

Babs

Hi - just seen your message and wanted to say well done and keep on going! Not smoking is one of the most worthwhile things you can do both for your health and your pocket. Having worked as a quit smoking advisor in the past I know how difficult giving up can be - but it can be done! Yes I too was a smoker many years ago but gave up when I met my husband to be who did not smoke. Shortly after we met, we went on a 3 month holiday to some extremely hot countries and I never wanted to smoke. On our return - bored home alone - I popped out and got 10 fags and some matches - I was so sick it was like Clockwork Orange!! Never touched another and the smell of fags started me off heaving! Anyway very well done and keep going. Only you can do it.

Top Bottom