Help: unable to unlock chain lock!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toffeeman

Hello,

I've used a MagnumPlus 303 chain lock for a couple of months and locked my bike up at work on Tuesday morning as usual. However, when I came to unlock it in the evening I was unable to. They key goes in but I'm unable to turn it. The bike is still locked up there - thankfully my work is on a secure compound. I've tried a blast of WD40 and some of the spare keys I've got at home but to no avail.
Can anyone suggest how I get my bike back ?! The site security tried to remove the chain with some bolt cutters but they were too small. I'd also locked the U head of the chain through my bike frame so even cutting one of the links (if possible) would still mean the bike is locked. I'm beginning to despair - help please :biggrin:

Thanks,
RM

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Hire some bigger bolt croppers or use a small angle grinder.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Angle grinder might be a bit fiddly/dnagerous unless you can clamp the lock securely. Personally, I wonder if your best bet would not be a bigger pair of bolt cutters ...

OR ... get a couple of lengths of scaffolding (about 3 or 4 feet should do it), get the security guy's bolt cutters and pop the scaffolding over the handles to lengthen them, giving more leverage.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Someone suggested giving the lock a thump when a child at school's lock was stuck... - it didn't work, I think the parent had to come back later with something to cut the lock (pair of scissors ought to have done it in that particular case!!!).

Have you made sure when you put in the lubricant that it was upside down and able to seep into the different parts of the lock?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
there is also a chance that a work colleague has kindly super glued your lock 'for fun'. i think nail polish remover may work or some stronger acetone.hth

Midnight

shauncollier said:
there is also a chance that a work colleague has kindly super glued your lock 'for fun'. i think nail polish remover may work or some stronger acetone.hth

If it is superglue, then good old fashioned boiling water will do the trick!;)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Zippy said:
How do we know we are not instructing a local oik how best to tackle this lock on similarly locked bikes?

exactly what i was thinking..

I don't think we should have a 'how to' thread either. If you know how to break a lock, keep it to yourself.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Because OP has the appropriate key and we're trying to help that move in the lock.

OP was it cold when you tried, a bit of moisture in there could have frozen the mechanism. boiling water, wd40 (not a lubricant - water dispersant) and some 3-in-1 first off before wrecking it.

Possibly a locksmith to see if it is a retrievable fault - bit of grit etc.

have you still got the receipt?

D4VOW

Zippy said:
How do we know we are not instructing a local oik how best to tackle this lock on similarly locked bikes?

+1

A person joins the forum and their very first post is advice on how to defeat a lock. People should take more care with what advice they give out :laugh:

Top Bottom