Help wanted from bright techno type people

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Right, what I'm trying to do is link my old android (Samsung 2016) phone to a PC monitor so I can use the bigger screen to view some apps when I'm doing other stuff, and blue tooth's not available for the apps I'm after using, so hard wire is the only way forward.

I thought I'd got the right thing when I ordered a female HDMI to male type c connector, as I think/thought that's what the port on the android phone was, but what's arrived is a lead where the HDMI bit is right, but the other end is a male micro usb connector.

The micro usb is slightly too big to fit in the phone, and the usual connector that I'm after has a taper on the length, so is bigger on one length than the other.

Is there are dongle type thing to get me from the male micro to male type C connector to plug in to the phone?

I've tried googling, but I'm never quite sure of the sizes when I look, and they all seem to call them different things.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Which model phone is it?

ColinJ

Have you got a Samsung smart TV by any chance? (If so, apparently you can link them via wifi.)

Or if you have a Chromecast dongle, you should be able to connect via that?

It sounds like you tried to buy the right thing, but they sent you something else!

OP
OP
ClichéGuevara

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
Can’t live up to the title so straight to YouTube. Hers a video from 3 years ago:

View: https://youtu.be/5kZQxAWTKos

Cheers, that's pretty much what I've done, only what he describes as the 'micro USB' connector, is what I want, but what arrived as slightly bigger and more rounded. It's an adapter from the (male) rounded one, to end up with a male one like in the clip that I'm after.

Sounds like you might have a microHDMI rather than micro USB

totally different
but look quite similar - my old Samsung had one but the new (i.e I have finished paying for it but not that long ago) does not

Whatever you do - do not use a hammer to make it fit - as I IT Technician I did have a person working in my organisation that appeared to do that
didn;t go well!!!

ColinJ

Whatever you do - do not use a hammer to make it fit - as I IT Technician I did have a person working in my organisation that appeared to do that
didn;t go well!!!
Aaargh - that sounds like the IT trainee we had who used to sit on PC keyboards to try to get malfunctioning PCs to work... :whistle:***

*** I asked his supervisor why he did this. Apparently he fell against a keyboard once and the reluctant PC came to life. Clearly, the answer to all PC problems was to whack the keyboard! :wacko: :laugh:

OP
OP
ClichéGuevara

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
Sounds like you might have a microHDMI rather than micro USB

totally different
but look quite similar - my old Samsung had one but the new (i.e I have finished paying for it but not that long ago) does not

didn;t go well!!!

Does such a thing as an adapter between the two exist?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Yes I bought one to link a smart phone to a TV. It worked but then completely drained the charge in the smart phone. I thought I had knackered the phone for a while.

OP
OP
ClichéGuevara

ClichéGuevara

Legendary Member
Are you trying to buy an adapter for the adapter?

If so, then why not just buy the right one and plug that in instead?

I've already got the lead pretty much as shown in the video, only the smaller of the connectors is the wrong size. If I knew the right way of describing that particular bit, I'd buy a full lead again, but I don't want to just end up with another wirey ornament, so was wondering if an adapter existed, or if someone had a link to what would be the correct full lead.

Top Bottom