Help with 1. hydraulic brakes & 2. raising handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

areyouactuallymoving

I was just going to put help with hydraulic brakes and handlebars, but thought people would expect the two things to be related.

I have just bought another bike, a Specialized Ariel https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-ariel-hydro-disc-2018-womens-hybrid-bike-EV306288 which has hydraulic disc brakes. I've never used these before and managed to scare the sh*t out of myself coming down a big hill on my first proper ride out on it as the back wheel locked. I believe you're not supposed to hold the brakes on, but pump them, which is what I was doing. Is there a knack to using them, was I just braking too hard?

Also, the handlebars need raising, I am mechanically inept and I have read a few things saying that you should get handlebars adjusted by someone that knows what they are doing, is this sound advice?

Cheers

Nibor

Bewildered
For the brakes it is just a matter of developing a lighter touch no need to pump. Just practice.

As for the handlebars you are probably better leaving it to someone who is mechanical it isn't rocket science but you can get it wrong If you bought it new locally take it back to the shop and ask them.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is the stem flipped? If not try that first to raise the bars. Should be pretty upright on an Ariel though

Get Evans to help given they sold you the bike

OP
OP
A

areyouactuallymoving

Thanks for the quick replies. Will need to practice coming down those hills to avoid this :eek:

I got it from a LBS (well L -ish) not Evans, but they don't have a flashy website showing the bikes. I will return to them to fiddle with the handlebars.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The rotors look like 160mm front and rear. Personally I think 160mm on the rear can be a bit much on a road bike - it can lock very easily. Ideally I'd prefer 160mm front and 140mm rear.

As said you will soon develop a lighter touch plus most/all of your braking is usually on the front brake. I only tend to use my rear brake if I've gone into a bend a bit sharpish and I need to kill some speed, on wet & slippery roads unless I'm travelling in a dead straight line and to give the fronts a breather on a long descent where braking is more or less constant.

Not sure if this is the correct technique but it works for me.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
areyouactuallymoving said:
I am mechanically inept

OK, you've recognised your shortcoming. That's a start, now go and do something about it.
I've been tinkering with all sorts of mechanical devices ever since I was old enough to hold tools. Starting with fixing up wrecks of bikes and making backyard built go-karts out of old prams and planks of wood, then progressing on to things with engines in them. I aim to be as near to 100% self-sufficient as possible whether it be doing vehicle maintenance, carpentry, plumbing, electrical wiring etc. If you understand how something is put together and how it works, you'll treat it better and then have less problems with it. The people I know who are always wearing out the brakes and clutches in their cars, and don't put air in their tyres or even check their engine oil until the warning light comes on, are the mechanical numpties. As a result, they pay out far more to own and use their vehicles than I do, and they have a lot more problems with them.

Last edited:

Jason

Bully for you John!

@areyouactuallymoving The stem either needs to be inverted or "flipped" or you need a new stem with a steeper angle. They are easy enough to change,but go back to Evans and ask them to help you with bike fit. I'm surprised they let you walk out of the shop without checking how the bike fits you tbh.
An adjustable stem may be the answer so you can switch/experiment with different angles as your cycling increases.

xzenonuk

Veteran
1. you will get used to them and not pull them so hard, a lighter constant touch is all you need to do.

2. get an adjustable stem you can raise and lower it, i have one on my mtb. i guess once you find a position you like you could get a solid stem with the same angle, you can also slide your saddle forward a wee tad.

hope you get it comfy :smile:

Top Bottom