Help with a smart trainer for bkool/zwift

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamangler

Veteran
So i have a normal cheap turbo and it boring as hell so i never use it. And with the weather/dark i dont get out much on the bike.

So i want to use either bkool or zwift, think i would prefer bkool

Ive been trying to research what i need but im still not sure what trainer to get

I want the cheapest trainer i can get that will adjust the resistance from bkool, now ive been looking at the tacx vortex but ive read it needs a firmware update to use, but that seems to be for iphone or ipad i have an android smartphone.

Im really wanting to use it with a PC so i know i need an ant+ dongle

BUT if i cant update the firmware, will it work with ant+ on my PC AND be able to adjust the resistance in real time or will it function without the resistance changes?

Long winded this i know, essentially i want to use a smart trainer with PC and be able to have it change resistance with the course, and i want the cheapest setup that will do this

thanks

OP
OP
adamangler

adamangler

Veteran
Infact, ive just seen i can get a stages power meter for £360
i already have a cheap turbo, maybe i will go with this as then i have a power meter into the bargain for use on the road

Jellybaby

I think you'll be very happy with your decision once you get used to the system and its setup. Don't be alarmed at first as it does look a bit confusing at first. Plenty of help on here....

OP
OP
adamangler

adamangler

Veteran
well mixed emotions

Good news was, it turned out it was in stock today so ive been and got it

Bad news, the bloody charger it came with doesnt work!

I have tried it briefly with my laptop charger snd the unit works, and im very impressed with the software although does look confusing.

Anyway im going to have to take it back tomorrow, as i dont trust the charger i used to not damage it, looks like they will have to order in a replacement so will have to wait till after new year now.

Looks impressive though.

g00se

Veteran
Get them to change the power supply, but you should be able to match it and pick one up from Maplins or similar.

Top Bottom