Help with cheap holiday ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
I'm on my annual 2 week holidays in a few weeks and need ideas of what to do.
There's me, my wife and two kids (Cari, 17 and Luke, 13) plus two dogs (a black and a yellow lab).
Mainly looking at days out in Scotland, possibly north of England. Must be cheap as cannot afford hotels and don't have any camping stuff.
I've looked on various sites but they all seem to go on about the scenery and history which is all well and good but won't take up 2 weeks.
Plan on going to Edinburgh Castle as only my wife has ever been there.
May go to the mountain biking place in the borders (can't remember the name - Glentress maybe).
Will have a run out in the country with the dogs for a good walk.
Have also considered going across to the west as I've never been to places such as Rothesay or the Isles but not sure if there is much to do.

If we get decent weather then we could have good days out in Fife with some good beaches, St Andrews for a nice wander and plenty dog walking.
I'll be doing a bit of cycling but not really something we could all do as my daughter doesn't have a bike.
The last couple of holidays have been to Florida for the theme parks, water parks, shopping and sun but money is really tight this year.

Right so enough waffle from me, hit me with your suggestions please ;)

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
I know you said about having no camping gear but how about finding a camping place with Pods... http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/camping-pods/skye/ - Theres a few of them around now. All you would need would be sleeping bags and perhaps a small stove etc.

The campsite we stayed at last weekend had those, although we took our tent.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Must be cheap? Haven't got tents?

It's gotta be youth hostelling or bothying or a combination of both. Have a look at the MBA (Mountain Bothies Association). Most of the bothies are in stunning locations, Camasunary on Skye for example, which is an easy walk in with overnight gear and food in a rucsac.

OP
OP
kfinlay

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Thanks for the ideas so far - those pods look great and I can take the dogs too. Will call tomorrow and see if they have any space left.
Any more ideas guys and gals?

AndyCarolan said:
I know you said about having no camping gear but how about finding a camping place with Pods... http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/camping-pods/skye/ - Theres a few of them around now. All you would need would be sleeping bags and perhaps a small stove etc.

The campsite we stayed at last weekend had those, although we took our tent.

the wife and I are about to go to a camping pod at low wray, lake district, part of the plan was to take bikes except we don't actually have a way of storing them securely while visiting her grandparents on the way.

our site is a national trust campsite.

it's not too far from grizedale.

surfgurl

Look up wigwam Holidays. We went a few years ago to a campsite in Gairloch and to another near Dundee.
If you go to Edinburgh the National Museum of Scotland is well worth a visit.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Aye, get yourself a tent, and if you can't, come by Dumbarton if you are over in the west here and we'll lend ya one!

I'm sure your daughter could also take one of the old rusting heaps in our garage to use as a bike, but I don't think that would be amazingly popular, seeing as the words 'rusting' and 'heap' come immediately to mind! :wacko:

Have you tried any of the Fife Coastal Walk. We've had many a good day out walking sections of it. It goes through many beautiful areas that can only be accessed by foot. What we did was walk till we had had enough then just got the bus back to the start point. Plus there's great chippies on route aswell!

soulful dog

Veteran
What about staying at a caravan park? I've a friend who loves staying at caravan parks, although she does have 3 young kids and not a couple of teenagers, depends how they would feel about it I suppose? You could always combine that with the Fife Coastal Walk as has just been mentioned.

Incidentally, any info on the best bits of it Turdus? I'd been thinking of heading up past Fort William for a couple of days when I'm off, but could perhaps head East and visit some parts of the Fife Coastal Walk instead.

Ranger

A day at Arbroath is good as well (no really), huge beach that lets dogs on, free parking on the harbour and smokehouses where you can get smokies and various other smoked fishiness.

Combine that with a cracking chip shop on the harbour (buy a smokie at the smokehouse and a portion of chips from the chippie) and a brilliant ice cream shop next door what better could you need

OP
OP
kfinlay

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
some great ideas folks - I've managed to book a couple of days up at the Skye pod and can take the dogs too. Will pop into Fort William on the way back for a gander and just see what happens from there. Like the Arbroath idea too as i love all sorts of fish and not too far (diesel's getting expensive too). Could go to the Museum in Edinburgh the same day as we do the castle.
Got to sort out our garden so that will take up a few days too. So thats about a week sorted out just a few more days to organise and there is still cycling days too including Glentress ;)

Thanks for the ideas and offers of tents and bikes, really appreciated but think we'll manage as my daughter isn't fussed about cycling so she can walk the dogs with my wife (more chance for me to cycle B) )

any other ideas/suggestions welcome

For a full holiday (week or two) I would go for a decent size tent and buy a second hand one on ebay. Sometimes people sell off their whole camping kit with cooker and fridge etc and you can get a setup for well under £100.

I have bought and used second hand trailer tents for years. Decent makes that have been stored last for years. Present one is about 12 years old and like new still.

Ebay seems to have loads around. Frame ones are strong but no-one seems to want them now (so cheap) but the bendy type also do not seem expensive second hand.

I would get a nice big one (bit of room is good on a rainy day) and head south for some better weather.

Sites range in price from basic farm fields with an old pig shed converted to a bathroom through to a luxury camp site with a leisure complex attached. Basic ones are still probably £5-10 per night still. So kit and camp could still get change out of £300. Also you save being able to cook at the tent and not eat out so much.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Hi Kev,

re diesel - possibly still cheaper for a family than the train, but there are various family ticket options, in case you didn't know

The National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh is well worth a visit (or many), there is a lot to see, but they do short intro tours (and it's free).

Not free but possibly of interest may be the Camera Obscura in Edinburgh, if you haven't been yet. I've got lots of bus tickets with "£2 off entry" vouchers for it, can send you a set for the family if you want (PM me?)
We love it and have been back with visitors.

Have you all been up Arthur's Seat and the Crags yet? I am always surprised how many locals (or near-locals) haven't been up there ...
plenty of dogs around there too, for yours to make friends with ;)

T

Top Bottom