Help with club promotion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Hey all, we have a little club going but it only has a few active members as many have left over the years & only a few have joined since.

I thought we could do a half price promotion but certain members said no way it's not fair on full paying members.

Advertising in magazines & newspapers could be expensive?

We have a closed facebook group but could maybe have an open one to attract local people?

We have had flyers at events in the past but never had any success with them.

Any ideas welcomed no matter how crazy.

vickster

Legendary Member
Get a magazine to do a feature on the club if you have done something interesting for charity, local kids or something? For this to work, you would need to have done something...

Chris Norton

Got a local hospice? Charity ride and get it in all your local rags. Mention that we'd love more members. Have more beginner type rides to ease newbies in.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi Milzy
Where abouts are you, do you run from the centre of the town?
First I think you need a very clear vision of what the club is for and about, what's it's ethos, it's direction.... I think that's important.
Also important to have a good 'visual' image too.
Consider other local clubs, are you in competition or do you offer something they dont?

We started a small club too, Abingdon Freewheeling about 4 years ago aimed at getting people cycling together and helping newbies. The emphasis is on the social, and having events aimed at a wide variety of cyclists but primarily those starting out who want help and support. We're the 'antidote to cycling clubs' if you like.

One of the main aims of the club is to organise our annual Spring Rides Festival which attracts new members. Our last festival we took just over 400 people out on led group rides! It's become an important event for our club and for our town's community. Not everybody who comes along becomes a member, but it shows intent. It's not impossible to organise - if you build it they will come
We're also cheap and simple to join £3 to cover insurance and a simple website, no more, no less. Keep it simple!
Our local pub is our base, we get free chip butties after our Thursday evening rides and use their meeting room for free. Rides finish here and many partake of bonhommie.
Start rides in a public place
Establish strong links with local cycle shops, CTC groups and other clubs if you offer something different.
Get a basic webpage up and link to fb
Make the fb pages open.
Promote at local fairs/market-stall events, promote to other sporting groups (runners often cycle as do rowers)
Email local employers outlining the clubs activities
Local newspapers are often desperate for stories, but if you have an 'event' to promote, it helps.

Our webpage:
http://groupspaces.com/AbingdonFreewheeling/

Our Festival

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KmbKHO4sG8

This started with 1 young lady with a vision who found 4 supporters to help make it reality. I'm glad I was one of them.

Top Bottom