Help !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dannimac

Hey guys , I’m looking to see if yous can help me about my sons bike as I know absolutely nothing about bikes ! My husband dealt with my sons Nike before he passed away a few years ago, it sat in the shed awaiting my son to get a little bigger but unfortunately I made a bad decision to allow someone to borrow it only for it to be returned damaged! It has sat in the shed ever since and forgotten , until me and my son cleared the shed and he would love to have the bike intended for hI’m 😊 however I need to repair and service the bike and some much needed TLC with a good clean and shine !
As far as I’m aware apart from chain rusty and stuff , little bits of the metal bolts etc rusty , and a good clean / service , adjust & tighten seat and handle bars . That the only damage is one of the tyres has a puncture! Im not saying it would happen but better safe than sorry ! Not that I’m saying it will happen but just to be safe because I’m clueless ! all I want is my son to have his bike , so I don’t want anyone to either rip me off with the cost it would be to fix it , that might stop me being able to right now thinking it’s unaffordable or end up paying the cost and end up skint because someone took the **** . All I want is it safe and sound so my son has his bike to go out with his friends. so if any of you guys can help me I’d really appreciate it .

* How can I find or does anyone know The exact model of this bike
* where can I find the bike’s exact specifications
* Age / or possible year Made
* Can a puncture be repaired or is it likely or best to get a brand new tyre ? the treads on both tyres are excellent so if it can be repaired that would be great
* what sort of price range would a full service cost ?
* is there anyway or anything that would actually work that I can get the rust off all the little bits here and there ?
* So that I know what to expect What sort of price range is reasonable for possible repairs such as puncture repair, Brakes repair , new tyre ( adjusting handle bars , seat , wheel etc ) replace tyre

id appreciate any help
Thank you
Danielle

Attachments

• IMG_9887.jpeg
    IMG_9887.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9896.jpeg
    IMG_9896.jpeg
    249.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_9891.jpeg
    IMG_9891.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 58

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Hi Danielle, welcome to Cyclechat.

It looks like your son's bike is a Polygon I can't quite read the name on the top tube but if you Googled that you'll probably find some info. I've never heard of them but someone on here probably has.

A puncture should be no problem to sort out. Usually you can just replace the tube inside the tyre and not the tyre itself. Bikes aren't like cars - they mostly have inner tubes and that's the bit you fix. A new tube might be around £5 and bike shops might want another £5 or so to change it for you.

Many bike shops offer two or three levels of service. A basic one, which might be all you need; a mid-level one and a top one. Sometimes they call them bronze, silver and gold. I've just checked and a place near me charges £40 for their basic service. It'll depend a bit on where you live but I imagine it shouldn't be much different to that. A decent place will take the bike for a basic service and then if they find that more work is needed they'll check with you before doing any extra.

I'd expect that if you book it in for a service somewhere they'd be able to sort the puncture at the same time for not much extra cost.

If I were you I wouldn't too much about tackling all the little rust marks. You'll be surprised how good it will look after a good clean. A bucket of soapy water and some old rags are all you need.

Good luck with getting it sorted. I'm sure your son will have a great time riding with his friends when he has his bike on the road.

Big John

Guru
I work for a bike charity as a volunteer mechanic. We only do one level of service and we're the cheapest in town @£55. My guess is a typical bike shop will charge more than that and you'll need to ask what their service covers, there'll be different levels of service too - gold, silver, bronze for example. The flat tyre might not even be punctured. We get bikes in that have stood for years in damp sheds and we always have to blow the tyres up because they're flat. If they stay up then all's well and good. If they go down it's a new tube (we don't do a patch-type puncture repair) and we fit it - all for £10 per tyre. It looks like the bike has hydraulic disk brakes. They'll probably need bleeding. That's not covered in our service so that's an extra £15 but other shops might charge more. The brake pads might, but might not, need replacing. That could be another £15 or so. The chain might look shocking but a good scrub with a wire brush and copious amounts of GT85 might bring it back to life.

The bike looks half decent and definitely isn't beyond repair. A good bike shop will assess it and give you a price to get it back in good order. If the bike is really going to be used then it'll be worth it. However, I've worked on bikes for family members only to see them go straight back in the shed to gather dust again after one ride.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Forgive me for being cynical, but it sounds to me like you were cleaning out the shed and found a bike that you forgot about. If you want to find out what it's worth before listing online just ask that - people will be just as helpful.

The name of the bike is written on the bike. Polygon Collosus SX1.0, do an Internet search on that, look at the rear suspension arrangement, and you'll find out it's an older model - likely 2014 or older, potentially 2012. So unless you bought the bike when still pregnant it's likely way to small for your kid now.

It will be difficult to find exact specifications on a decade-old Chinese-made bike. It's an alloy frame. Looks like Shimano Deore groupset, Suntour fork, hydraulic disc brakes - which likely need serious service or full replacements after being left in a shed for forever. It's a 15kg kids bike.

I don't think this is economical to service/repair. Same size examples, newer, and in better working condition are listed online for less than £200. Give this one to a bike charity or list for free in the classifieds section on this forum.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I think Lande O'Classic is close, although it's likely an older version if it's a Collosus.

Polygon are a Malaysian brand, to my knowledge only sold in the UK through Go Outdoors, although it's possible small batches here and there have been sold at other outlets. Many of their models are rebranded and sold via Halfords as Carreras.

Hard to tell the age, but I'm guessing 2012ish +/-3.

Not a bargain basement machine, or a BSO, a step or two above that, but far from being a premium machine. Useable, but utterly unexciting, not worth much, perhaps 75 to 100 quid cleaned up and good running order. If you had the time/patience it'd likely be worth more in parts.

Top Bottom