Help with coast to coast cycle - Irvine to Musselburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

dianelc

Are you on Strava? I'll cycle the route next week, going Crammond, Leith, Portobello and report back. I can also record the route I took on Strava so you can see it on a map. :-)
Thanks that would be really helpful, I have downloaded strava still trying to work out how to view other people's routes but I will keep working on it.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It sound like the canal route would be the way to go. If you are familiar with route 7 onto the canals where would you recommend joining the canal route and coming back off.
Hi!
Coming from Paisley along route 7 follow the clearly signposted directions for Glasgow/SECC.
You will ride over a bridge at the BBC/STV building, next door to the Science Centre.
At the Armadillo/SECC/Hydro compound you will see a red, covered tunnel that is the continuation of the cycle route to Kelvingrove park. Ride the tunnel, at the exit follow the signs to Kelvingrove park, then the cycling route to the canal.
Click here to see a map of me riding from home to the Kelpies, that covers how to join the canal. You follow the signs to Bishopbriggs, Falkirk wheel, Edinburgh.
Attention: about 3 miles after you join the Forth and Clyde canal, you need to take a sharp right at Lochburn road, it is a short steep downhill that ends on a road open to traffic. There is also the option to wheel the bike down while using stairs.
You need to cross the road and cross it again a few yards further after the bridge, rejoin the canal via a short hill.
Note: the SECC area and the tunnel will be closed from the 2nd to around the 7th of August 2016.
You can still reach Kelvingrove park by riding the way I did on my return on the ride linked. Note this park is always busy with dogs and pedestrian, also lots of short steep hills and blind bends, but you're out of it in 10 min.
When you get to the Falkirk Wheel, follow the clear signs to Edinburgh, after about 25 miles you will get to the city. From Glasgow to Edinburgh it's about 50 canal miles.
I seem to recall that @Brandane found a route from the Kelpies to Edinburgh on a nice new path, hopefully he will come along shortly.
The canal from the Falkirk Wheel to Embra is dull with a rough surface, while if you could follow the Kelpies route at the Wheel, and then get to Edinburgh this would be a much nicer cycle.

Thanks that would be really helpful, I have downloaded strava still trying to work out how to view other people's routes but I will keep working on it.
Click on the blue text above to see my route on Strava, then click on the map to enlarge bits you want to focus on.
It's a good idea to google pictures of places you're not sure of, at least when you see them you know you're not lost, that's what I do ^_^
On this ride you can see the map from Paisley to Glasgow SECC along NCR7.
Any more questions, just ask :hello:

Booyaa

Veteran
I used to commute the Hamilton to Glasgow every day, not a great road for a 10 year old as mentioned by Pat. If you are just looking to get there, then the best way is join the canal (Forth and Clyde then on the the Union) as early as possible and go straight through to Edinburgh, down to the beach and follow the coast road through Porty beach to Musselburgh.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Hi!
Coming from Paisley along route 7 follow the clearly signposted directions for Glasgow/SECC.
You will ride over a bridge at the BBC/STV building, next door to the Science Centre.
At the Armadillo/SECC/Hydro compound you will see a red, covered tunnel that is the continuation of the cycle route to Kelvingrove park. Ride the tunnel, at the exit follow the signs to Kelvingrove park, then the cycling route to the canal.
Click here to see a map of me riding from home to the Kelpies, that covers how to join the canal. You follow the signs to Bishopbriggs, Falkirk wheel, Edinburgh.
Attention: about 3 miles after you join the Forth and Clyde canal, you need to take a sharp right at Lochburn road, it is a short steep downhill that ends on a road open to traffic. There is also the option to wheel the bike down while using stairs.
You need to cross the road and cross it again a few yards further after the bridge, rejoin the canal via a short hill.
Note: the SECC area and the tunnel will be closed from the 2nd to around the 7th of August 2016.
You can still reach Kelvingrove park by riding the way I did on my return on the ride linked. Note this park is always busy with dogs and pedestrian, also lots of short steep hills and blind bends, but you're out of it in 10 min.
When you get to the Falkirk Wheel, follow the clear signs to Edinburgh, after about 25 miles you will get to the city. From Glasgow to Edinburgh it's about 50 canal miles.
I seem to recall that @Brandane found a route from the Kelpies to Edinburgh on a nice new path, hopefully he will come along shortly.
The canal from the Falkirk Wheel to Embra is dull with a rough surface, while if you could follow the Kelpies route at the Wheel, and then get to Edinburgh this would be a much nicer cycle.

Click on the blue text above to see my route on Strava, then click on the map to enlarge bits you want to focus on.
It's a good idea to google pictures of places you're not sure of, at least when you see them you know you're not lost, that's what I do ^_^
The route I took from the Kelpies to Edinburgh is not what I would recommend to the OP as it took in some busy bits with steep climbs around Bo'ness.
If I was her I would go with the canal route, it's not dull the first time you do it! In fact I still quite enjoy it for a change from the roads.

OP
OP
D

dianelc

Hi!

That's a great help. Thank you. We are planning the cycle for the 8th October so hopefully the good old Scottish weather will be kind to us.

OP
OP
D

dianelc

The route I took from the Kelpies to Edinburgh is not what I would recommend to the OP as it took in some busy bits with steep climbs around Bo'ness.
If I was her I would go with the canal route, it's not dull the first time you do it! In fact I still quite enjoy it for a change from the roads.
Thanks for that. Will go with your advice and follow the canal route.

OP
OP
D

dianelc

I used to commute the Hamilton to Glasgow every day, not a great road for a 10 year old as mentioned by Pat. If you are just looking to get there, then the best way is join the canal (Forth and Clyde then on the the Union) as early as possible and go straight through to Edinburgh, down to the beach and follow the coast road through Porty beach to Musselburgh.
Thanks for the advice as a novice and a 10 year old. We want the safest route so will opt with the canal route. Just getting into cycling so don't want this to be our last cycle haha.

Pat "5mph"

Just getting into cycling so don't want this to be our last cycle haha.
October can be quite cold and wet!
Over how many days are you doing this?
Have you got good mechanical knowledge or support you can call on?

JoshM

Not to mention the appropriate gear for poor weather, overshoes, layers etc. A few days of bone chilling side long rain in insufficient clothing would be enough to put most 10 year olds off ever cycling again.

Also plan in 'get off points' - places you can leave the route and go home if you really need to. In the dark/rain when your cold and hungry isn't the time to be trying to plan these things.

OP
OP
D

dianelc

We aim to take 2-3 days it's the start of the school October week so just as long as we finish as he is doing it for charity. Planning on building up our rides in advance so aiming for 3 hours stop for lunch then hopefully another 2-3 hours and then a hotel with hot bath, overnight stay and similar the following day. My husband will be in the car for backup. My mechanical knowledge is zero so far. Both our bikes are new and will get them serviced before we start. They are both hybrid ridgebacks so hopefully there will be a dealer/independent not to far off route that my husband could access. All tips would be greatly welcomed tho.

Pat "5mph"

My husband will be in the car for backup.
I am relieved :smile:
My mechanical knowledge is zero so far.
Get some basics asp!
Learn how to change inner tubes at home, taking wheels on and of several times until it becomes routine, specially the back one.
Plenty of YouTube videos to help.
Learn also how to use glueless patches, in case you get multiple punctures.
Do a trial mini tour (or several) when it's raining, it will show up what you need clothing wise.
You don't need a Ridgeback retailer, any bike shop will be able to help.
Have at least one waterproof pannier, so food/phone/ spare socks don't get wet.
Just before Edinburgh you need to go through a short tunnel, take a torch.
You also need to walk the bikes over an aqueduct, this one.

OP
OP
D

dianelc

Not to mention the appropriate gear for poor weather, overshoes, layers etc. A few days of bone chilling side long rain in insufficient clothing would be enough to put most 10 year olds off ever cycling again.

Also plan in 'get off points' - places you can leave the route and go home if you really need to. In the dark/rain when your cold and hungry isn't the time to be trying to plan these things.
Yeah have thought about clothing. I know we need to be well prepared for the elements especially wind and rain. Thankfully we have only had to endure light rain so far so our waterproofs have been ok. Have been holding off on buying clothing. I'm sure the range in prices vary from effectiveness and desirability. I don't want to scrimp on quality (because I want to enjoy cycling in winter) but don't need to pay just for a name. I'm also still hopeful our summer will be in October lol. Didn't think of overshoes. Will put that on our list.

Pat "5mph"

Didn't think of overshoes. Will put that on our list.
In my experience, overshoes on non clipped in pedals are not effective.
I mean, I must have shredded half dozen!
Get some waterproof walking shoes: pricey but worth it, you can use them after the tour anyway.
Try several on in shops: they need to be stiff soled, not with a high collar to the ankle or pedaling will be uncomfortable.
On a canal ride in winter it is muddy: you bikes must have mudguards, or you'll get a wet bum.
Get grippy pedals, like these. Shop around, you can get similar much cheaper.

Top Bottom